• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grocery Kirby cukes -- don't be afraid

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
You may have passed these up in the supermarket thinking they are only for pickles. Take note!

My store was out of regular cukes so I got kirby (pickling). They were quite large kirbys. But I made fire and ice salad and it is actually BETTER! There's a reason you use them for pickles. They stay crisp and don't turn to mush! And a fire and ice salad is a pickling of sorts, especially if you let it sit and marinate. So noted: Kirbys! This salad was AWESOME with a nice crisp freshness! I always put the tomatoes in last so just another tip for ya.

Marinated overnight still crisp!!!

Point Reyes blue cheese
On top of fire and ice
On top of baby spinach

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_203113.jpg
    IMG_20200507_203113.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 97
sounds good  :drooling:

This is the fire and ice salad i know;

watermelon
jalapeno
fresh lime juice
purple onions or shallot
(cilantro *optional)
 and sea salt.
Mix well and serve cold.

blows peoples mind when you tell them there is no tomato in it  :crazy:  :cool:

i think i made it in one of my first throwdowns here

:cheers: 

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

sounds good  :drooling:

This is the fire and ice salad i know;

watermelon
jalapeno
fresh lime juice
purple onions or shallot
(cilantro *optional)
 and sea salt.
Mix well and serve cold.

blows peoples mind when you tell them there is no tomato in it  :crazy:  :cool:

i think i made it in one of my first throwdowns here

:cheers:

it sounds interesting. but no cucumber?

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
it sounds interesting. but no cucumber?
not in the recipe my wife got from a co-worker i think

i was just commenting that there are apparently several styles of salsa called "fire and ice"
the watermelon one is really good and most people assume its tomato :lol:

I remember that salsa though! It's like a summer salsa and when you say salsa in America people think tomatoes. That has watermelon instead and is named for the hot and cool of jalapeno and watermelon. Fire and ice the salad is only named for the colors. The ice look of the cuke and the fire of the tomato. When it marinates the cuke can get more transparent/icy looking. It's a simple salad that probably dates to the 50s?

are Kirby like English cucumbers ?

i have sliced up English cucumbers and added to leftover live probiotic barrel style pickles brine, and let them ferment on the counter for few days, then into fridge for slower ferment for a week or so, which resulted in some great pickle chips  :drooling:

kind of... kirbys have way less water content than a regular cucumber so they are dense and the size of a large dill pickle. English are long and dense so they are similar sure.

Back