• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

KISSOLOGY DVD

OK, I'm not too much of a KISS fan. I think they had a handful of good songs and the rest of the time they sound pretty clunky. Then there's the money-grubbing antics of MSRS. Simmons and Stanley over the last few years are enough to turn anyone off.

Still, when I was 14 years old I thought they were pretty wicked cool.

This new release is pretty cool for even the casual fan or student of 70's popculture. It's basically all the bootleg tapes that have been making the rounds for years, collected on one affordable dvd set. It's all the original lineup and all from the 70s. There's something like 4 complete concerts on this sucker plus lots of other things...tv appearances, etc.

My one gripe is there seems to be very little bass in the mix. As a mattter of fact I don't think there's a subwoofer track at all. Of course the clips are of greatly varying degrees of quality. I have only watched the first disc so far but my favorite from that is Winterland '76. They really rip it up there, a hungry and aggressive young rock'nroll band with a hell of a gimmick.

Neat set. There is a third disc with another show on it that varies according to what retailer you buy from. Gotta love that Gene $immon$.

marcosauces said:
Chuck,
they are over 50 years old but let me tell you...they can still put up a great live concert..!!!
Too bad they don't actually PLAY anymore, all the times I've seen them in a live concert they were pulling a Britney Spears.

imaguitargod said:
Too bad they don't actually PLAY anymore, all the times I've seen them in a live concert they were pulling a Britney Spears.

Hey if i could get paid a million bucks or so to fake it, i'd do it in a second!

They did look WAY cool when they first did the make up stuff.

Apart from peter Criss. WTF happened there? You've got your demon, your star child, your... other one... and a cat. A cat.

Case in point:

kissdynp1.jpg

See? Top left: Cool. Top Right: Cool. Bottom left: Cool. Bottom right: ridiculous.

How un-rock 'n' roll is that? How come the drummer always gets the bum deal? The sex pistols hated their drummer, Steven Adler got booted from Guns N Roses for (probably) looking cleaner than the rest of them (he was undoubtedly the most "Hair Metal/ Cock Rock" of the original line up) and Kiss make their drummer look like a total pussy, literally.

Guns N Roses then get Matt Sorum, the most stereotypical Hair Metal looking man in history, apart from C C Deville and the entire band TigerTailz.

family guy had a realy cool line about peter chris... peter found out lois was not that big of a kiss fan and he said something like...i should have know when you wanted to dress up as peter chris...nobody wants to be peter chris not even peter chris.

Shooty* said:
Hmmmmm.... no one with me on that, clearly.

I was going to make a joke about drummers but I rememberd Devil Duck is here so I thought better of it.

Actually I think Peter Criss was their best singer. Listen to "Black Diamond".

Loving that family guy line. That show gets a lot of stick from Simpsons AND south Park, but they have one of my other favourite scenes: Stewie has bully tied up in basement, and is threatening him with knife. Mum walks in.

"What are you doing down here?"
"um.... playing house"
"With knives?"
*pause*
"Roman Polanski's house."

Distasteful, but love it.

Shooty* said:
They did look WAY cool when they first did the make up stuff.

Apart from peter Criss. WTF happened there? You've got your demon, your star child, your... other one... and a cat. A cat.

Case in point:

kissdynp1.jpg

See? Top left: Cool. Top Right: Cool. Bottom left: Cool. Bottom right: ridiculous.

How un-rock 'n' roll is that? How come the drummer always gets the bum deal? The sex pistols hated their drummer, Steven Adler got booted from Guns N Roses for (probably) looking cleaner than the rest of them (he was undoubtedly the most "Hair Metal/ Cock Rock" of the original line up) and Kiss make their drummer look like a total pussy, literally.

Guns N Roses then get Matt Sorum, the most stereotypical Hair Metal looking man in history, apart from C C Deville and the entire band TigerTailz.

I read an interview with Peter Criss in Modern Drummer Magazine. They asked him about the inspiration for his makeup theme. He repied that it was a tribute to drumming and had nothing to do with a cat. Those lines on his face are supposed to resemble drumsticks.

Well, what'cha gunna do with grease paint? :P

DevilDuck said:
I read an interview with Peter Criss in Modern Drummer Magazine. They asked him about the inspiration for his makeup theme. He repied that it was a tribute to drumming and had nothing to do with a cat. Those lines on his face are supposed to resemble drumsticks.

Well, what'cha gunna do with grease paint? :P

Then Peter Criss has gone scenile because I've seen abunch of interviews on the boob tube from the late 70's and early 90's where he said that it was because he looked at his cat and went with that...he said he's always felt comfortable with cats so it was the most logical thing.

Yep. It is the lamest excuse I have ever, ever heard. Ever. Worse than R Kelly's "I thought she was 17!". Worse than Mel Gibsons "Aliens got me drunk!".

You're a cat, dude, get used to it. Your band mates look like cool kids and clearly got laid a lot. You look like a 4 year old at a birthday party with face painting.

snooty - the "other one" is space ace.

yea I admit simmons/stanley or should we say klein/eision (?spelling?) are money grubbers, but they also have some good music, & RnR all nite is not 1 of'em, I cant stand listening to that anymore.
gene simmons & peter criss were the best singers in the band IMO, paul stanley is alright for some songs, ace frehley is so so at best.

but peter criss was my favorite, if you liked peter criss kiss solo album, you should try to get his other 3 albums - out of control - let me rock you - criss cat #1
the 1st two sound like is kiss solo, the criss cat #1 album is ok but doesnt sound like the others, but the song "Blue moon over Brooklyn" is a kicka$$ song.

but other than that, The Doors are #1 in my book, & Pink Floyd also

At the moment, my favourite TV program is Scrubs. I am devouring every eiposde and youtube clip I can find. Absolutely amazing series. Dr Cox is uber-cool.

Back