Kitchen torch

My fall project is cleaning all my kitchen cabinets and disposing of crap I don't use.

I found this buried in the back.

image.jpeg

It is at least 10 years old and never used, but seems like it might be useful now that I know it exists.

Questions:

Is the fuel good/safe after so much time?

If I decide to get rid of it can I just toss in the trash?

The box is cardboard so has attracted lots of little nasties. All seem dead, but could they have gotten in and affect operation?

Playing with fire is only fun until someone loses an eye.

is there even fuel in it? It should be safe. If you don't want it, toss it this way ;) but seriously though, fill her up and see if it works! i don't see any issues. if there is something in it, the gas flow might not be optimal but it won't blow up on you

FIgure the fuel had been in the earth for thousands of years before it was loaded into the canister - so a few years in a cupboard aint gonna do much to it -- IF the container was never used it will still be sealed so should be full and ready to use only reason it wouldn't be is if there was a leak which should only happen once the seal was broken on the canister. Also figure there are very few moving pieces on one of those things so bugs shouldn't be a problem unless they died inside the path of the gas flow which should be easy to clear if it happened so should still be very useable.

Just don't heat it up before you use it.

If it's full, and you get it warmer than room temp 85F, the gas will be excited and it's come out w/ a bigger flame than the level you have it it ...

Trust.

Otherwise, it should business as usual in terms of the age.

Ahhhhhh!!!! The critters in the box weren't dead!!!! As I took it out they all came alert. Ewwwwww........

grantmichaels said:
Just don't heat it up before you use it.

If it's full, and you get it warmer than room temp 85F, the gas will be excited and it's come out w/ a bigger flame than the level you have it it ...

Trust.

Otherwise, it should business as usual in terms of the age.

Why would you heat it up?

Back