misc Knock off universal hot sauce?

Hey all. I went to a local new flea market over the weekend, after grabbing a BBQ sandwich at a local place. I spotted the same hot sauce at the Q joint and 2 booths at the flea market. Only difference being the different generic labels. I thought it to be kinda cheezy considering I'm planning to make my own sauce and spent money on a label. What'd ya think?

That's the nature of the biz. There are lots of Loiusiana hot sauces that have the same recipe and different labels. It's an easy way to make money. Danny Cash does the same thing, but he's the only premium sauce maker that does it as far as I know. The unrefined hot sauce buyer will get the George Bush and Al Gore hot sauces and think they are different, and there are a lot more weekend chileheads than true chileheads unfortunately.

If you mean Danny Cash is the only company that private labels some of there products that is not the case. Unless you don't cosider Kato's a premium sauce company. I can name quite a few who do it. I will say we have private labeled our sauces for a number of years. We have private labeled our Kato's Rajun Cajun to a number of companies and establishments for a good many years.

It is the nature of the business to sell your product anyway you can either with your own label or another company putting their label on your product.

Mick
Kato's

There are many good reasons to use private label. One time events like weddings with the bride and groom's name on the sauce, restaurants that don't want to advertise other companies and want to sell their sauce, etc. But sauce professionals should be making their own. If you are in the sauce biz, make it, don't buy it. If you think it's an easy way to start out, sure, but how about that first review where the reviewer is gonna say "this is really blah blah sauce renamed." There goes your cred as a sauce maker.

kato said:
If you mean Danny Cash is the only company that private labels some of there products that is not the case. Unless you don't cosider Kato's a premium sauce company. I can name quite a few who do it. I will say we have private labeled our sauces for a number of years. We have private labeled our Kato's Rajun Cajun to a number of companies and establishments for a good many years.

I'm sorry Mick, I wan't implying you don't make a premium product, I didn't know you did private labeling. Danny Cash was just the one that I have seen who are so open about that end of their business.

I love your products, and I hope you weren't offended by my ignorance of that part of your business.

No offense taken. Just most establishments or companies don't want you to give this information out. No need to apologize it is a part of the business that is best kept on the down low. It doesn't mean that the product is not of quality just the opposite in fact it probably is of high quality and that's why establishments or companies want to use it.

If it is reviewed it will usually get good reviews and they will state that it is similar to another product.
Most sauce recipes are not unique because most are replicas of a well liked product. There is of course exceptions. ( No offense meant to anyone) Like our Meaner Greener is just a twist on a traditional salsa verde we didn't come up with the idea on our own. We just changed out the jalapeno's for green habanero's added a bit of lime and viola a different product.

Think nothing of your statement just 2 folks with different thoughts on the same subject that is what makes the internet so great.

Mick
Kato's

Back