coffee-tea Kombucha Brewing

My first attempt at making kombucha

I started on Jan 19...figured I go the long route and make my own scoby instead of buying
Here is was my method

I heated 2 cups water to a boil, added 1/3 cup sugar and 2 black tea bags and steeped for 5-7 min. Allowed to cool to room temp. Added contents to jar with 1 jar of GT's original kombucha, covered and waited.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

1 week--Jan 26
4.JPG

2 weeks--Feb-2
5.JPG

3 weeks--Feb-9
6.JPG

4 weeks---Feb 17th done
7.JPG

8.JPG

After removing the scoby, and saving a few cups of the liquid, I started the batch that would brewed to drink. I brought 3 QT's water to a boil, removed from heat and added 1 cup sugar 5 black tea bags and 2 green tea bags and steeped for 7-10 min. I allowed it to cool to room temp, added to jar, added water to top off added scoby and waited some more

9.JPG

After 2 weeks (March 2) I judged it to be done (my home temps usually run around 68F which is why the long ferment time). I think it was actually done in a week and a half but didn't get to it until two weeks. Smelled ok (vinegary) sampled some and thought the taste was good. Little over vinegary. I removed the scoby's and some liquid and set in fridge until next batch. i pureed some raspberries and some strawberries and added a little puree to the bottom of the jar. Topped of with the fermented tea. Capped and waited 3 days before sampling again. Taste was really good, just like store bought in my opinion. Only thing is i think ill strain the puree next time. Got some pieces that went fully puree'd.

10.JPG

12.JPG

15.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

:cheers:

Back