Kung Pao peppers turn brown then purple

A few years ago I would leave my Kung Pao peppers on the vine until past the red color and they would evntually turn brown and then purple (a very deep purple, like a bruise, not royal purple).

It did not seen to affect their health at all and they seemed a bit milder than the red stage.

I've gotten one to turn brown this year, but not yet purple.

Has anyone ever done this with their Kung Paos?

Does it hurt the plant?

Hey Guys --

I've got two Gong Bao's growing here in my container garden. Are we talking about the same pepper, just different names? If so, I'm willing to leave a few peppers on the plant past red to see what they do. Worth a shot. They've just started to turn red actually. Great plants, mine are just loaded with fruit!!

--SIS

SpicyInSarnia said:
Hey Guys --

I've got two Gong Bao's growing here in my container garden. Are we talking about the same pepper, just different names? If so, I'm willing to leave a few peppers on the plant past red to see what they do. Worth a shot. They've just started to turn red actually. Great plants, mine are just loaded with fruit!!

--SIS
Yes, this plant was actually labeled at a Gong Bao. From what I understand they are the same plant, just different names.

I ended up buying 6 seeds for $6 from someone in Iowa that were labled Kung Pao and only got one to from from seed.

It has a thicker stalk, but that may be because it's been in great fertilizer/soil since sprouting.

The Gong Bao we got at the local nursery actually has one that has started the brown stage as of this morning.

I'll have to get a pic, I know this thread is worthless without them. :)

Somebody has an awesome post with screenshots of how to post.  I use Imgur to host my pic and after you upload your pic....

...right click on the link under this description and then post into your comment on THP.

BBCode (message boards & forums)

mlittle74 said:
Somebody has an awesome post with screenshots of how to post.  I use Imgur to host my pic and after you upload your pic....

...right click on the link under this description and then post into your comment on THP.

BBCode (message boards & forums)

Thanks for this!

Here's one that seems to be turning purplish brown that was just puled off the plant.

There are two red ones that turned red after sitting in my kitchen being brown for a day or two.

I'm not sure if this plant is somehow different than the ones I had last year, because the coloring process is going backwards after green.

Weird.

l9rNk2Z.jpg

I've got Kung Paos growing but so far everything is still green (tons of pods though!). The one that you have sitting on top is how most of my peppers tend to look when they go from green to red as the colour is changing.

Back