labels Label Making

I have a design I created over the weekend for a label I would like to use on my sauces. I don't sell them (yet) though I would love to once I get enough recipe's and plants under my belt. Anyway I am wondering if any of you have any online sources that are reliable and affordable for making short run labels of like less than 100 maybe? Thanks for the help.

"Authority Having Jurisdiction"

as long as you are just giving it away, no worries about all that, just make sure it's processed properly.

Well I make it in my kitchen but our entire house is clean enough to eat off of any surface..lol. If I did get to the point of being ready to see I would use my church's kitchen since I am a member now and would be doing everything in a clean and certified environment. Since we are kind of on the topic What are some of the first steps I would need to take if I were to start selling? I know a PH meter is likely a NEED and cooking in a certified kitchen.

You may need to take a safe canning course of some sort, but you'll have to check your local laws. I know in some places you can't even store your product in your own house in large quantities so you may want to check into that sort of thing too

I really love you labels I think it looks awesome! Our first labels were stickers with our hand writing on them with sharpie markers....your ahead of the game my friend, so don't get to worried or caught up in legal mumbo jumbo until your at the point where it is required. Have fun with it- isnt that why you started?! Let us know how everything turns out!

xo nicole

Yeah I got that Photoshop thing down pretty good if I say so myself. Im not at a level I would like to be but I know enough to be creative. I have done a lot of my artwork in Photoshop. Thanks for your compliment also and Im glad you like :D and yes I am in this for the fun of it but a little bit of change on the side is also nice. But yeah I will worry about that stuff when it comes. I am just one of those people that likes to do the research and find things out before I dive in and sometimes those things I find out will help me decide when or if I do them. :D Thank you all for your comments and input. I also just created a label for the salsa jars/cans Ill be sure to poste it once I feel it is complete.

Well I think I have a final draft of my "can label". I decided to print off one of my Hab 'N' Honey and one Buffalo Wing Sauce for the bottles. I also decided to print off a sample of my salsa label. All this is, is paper tapped tot he bottle right now. This is not because I am that cheap and cheesy but its used so I can see how the finished labels will look when applied. Well ill stop the chit chat and lett you see for yourselves. This pic is not the best but it is the best of what I could get for now. Maybe when I have the sauces all done and in their homes I will take a REALLY nice pic with my REAL camera. :D

IMG00535-20100909-2126.jpg

I was told that the salsa could be a little hotter so I added a few more cayennes and one habanero to the mix. Anyway here is the salsa label. It does look very nice when its printed.

Crazy8Salsa.png

Well in the case of the salsa I think it would look ok centered above the ingredients. This way its not really "hidden" in the text and is the first thing to see before the ingredients even. That doesn't mean that there may not be other places it could go, but I don't think that would be a bad place. :D

In the case of the sauce im thinking maybe above the "5oz(147ml)" or between the flavor and heat scale in vertical print.

hey there Crazy8-

Been thinking about this label today, and finally getting back online.

I would suggest NOT putting the expiration date on the label, if you ever do a run of labels, you won't want it printed on the label. Expire/best by dates can be put on with a Monarch price gun as they change for every batch you make. If you want to, you can put verbage like "best by date on bottom" printed on the label.

Couple other observations- and once again these are just my impressions to tweak the label. Don't pay any attention to them if you don't like them. It's your label! ...not mine... :)

I LOVE the Crazy8 with the black and flames! Very sharp looking. I'm still not sold on having "hot Sauce" in the top header. Also because you are making 3 different sauces. Salsa, hot sauce and wing sauce. I think you can lose the Hot Sauce in the upper logo, I don't think it needs it as the 8-ball looks so good.

The orange square stands out really well and in the wing sauce, it says "Buffalo Wing Sauce", exactly what the product is. You can do the same thing for the other sauce also...: Hab & Honey Hot Sauce" in the orange square. Look at your product line long term. The Crazy8 logo is a GREAT logo and could be used for a whole product line and by removing the Hot Sauce from the upper header, it gives you all the options. Crazy8 is the logo, the flavor or sauce goes in the orange square.

Also, by removing Hot Sauce front he top header, the whole front will be viewed on the bottle.

Put the Oz/ml below the orange square with "refrigerate after opening"

"best by date on bottom" should go after or before the ingredients list along with the contact info which is after the ingredients.

Salsakid just looked at them. His suggestions are to raise up the orange flavor square (and center it under the C8 logo) bring the thermometer in closer (I don't think the thermometer is that important, but that's his suggestion) and condense it. Moving things around and up will also give you room for the oz/ml Refer below the flavor square.

For the Salsa label, I'd like to see the same changes. Remove Salsa from the C8 logo at the top, center the C8 logo and put "Original Salsa" on the white band. This will also set the label up for the next version of "HOT salsa"...which will surely be not too far down the line. :lol:

These are just my own observations and I am not a professional graphics person, so don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't want to use any of them. ;)

PS-
some of these suggestions are based on FDA requirements to have brand name, common name of product, Oz/Ml etc in the proper places on the label. Some have to be front panel, some can be side panel.

Tell Selsakid thanks for his suggestion. I have applied his suggested change and I do like it. I also am very grateful for yours. I value everything you add and have taken everything into consideration. I do have to say I am torn on the "Hot Sauce" thing. On one hand its white text so even thought its fractions of a penny, it would save on ink. Where as if I print "Sauce" after everything in the label it cost more if I keep it a color but it also can make some of the flavors sound odd like "Hob 'N' Honey Sauce".

Just doesnt seem to roll off the tongue right. But I also kind of agree that if I keep the "Hot Sauce" that it should be moved but I have tried it under "Eight" and over the bottom of the 8 ball and I just can find another place that i like it. This might be a case of things looking better on the bottle so i may need to play with that and see what develops. I think I did make all the other requested changes that were suggested.

I also kinda thought that the flavor thing was a little off center in relation to the logo but wasnt sure if I should mess with it and if I did what I should do to correct it. i think all of these things may help. I will print off some more "printer paper labels" just to make sure I am happy before I actually create the real thing. What do you think now?

Crazy8v2WingSauce.png

And here is the salsa label.
Crazy8Salsa-2.png

Thank you both again for the suggestions. I will be getting my labels this weekend so I will be able to play around for a little bit. Still need to figure out how to import that template into Photoshop CS4. I tried a couple time and the directions I read dont seem to match up exactly with what I got or something.

in our HUMBLE opinion...

we like the new layouts! It's good! Balanced, great color and flexibility.....
hopefully others will chime in with more suggestions.
Like I said,"not graphics designers"...... feel free to take other input and morph the designs....

Hey salsalady, I know this is a bit off topic but could you tell me how to post a video in here? I know you have done it so that's why I am asking you. Im assuming I may need a place to store it like on youtube or something. Anyway, any help would be appreciated and then all of you can see my brother and I eat a Red Savina.

Well something hit me and I decided to run with it and see what it would look like. I honestly dont think it looks to bad but some eyes on the outside looking in is always appreciated. So what do you all think of this?

Crazy8v2-2.png

I suppose you will want some sauce to spill into the bottle's to before I send them off? lol oh wait I just noticed.....thats what you meant by a full bottle. Its early and still waiting for the morning coffee to kick in. Well if you by chance sent me a shipping address I might see if I have enough when I make them. :)

I will send you a bottle with one design and the other with a second and you let me know what you think. ;) Since you're judging my label and what it looks like on a full bottle of sauce, perhaps you could be of some greater service to my endeavor and see how each of the sauces tastes if any of it were to maybe spill onto some kind of meat you might eat sometime during your label judging...lol :rofl: If an unfortunate event were to happen, then a review of what you think would be much appreciated along with what things could be improved and such.

I dont know if this is an issue you guys can help me with or not but since I am printing my labels on an inkjet printer Im having one issue that I am not to sure I like. The labels look great but even days after the ink has dried I can drag my finger across the label and still pick up a small amount of ink. I could see this being a huge issue if someone with sweaty hands was holding the bottle or other of many types of situations. Is there something I could spray onto the labels to keep the ink from doing that? Maybe clear coat? Any ideas?

Back