labels Label Printer ?'s

I am looking into purchasing a label printer. Does anyone have any recommendations, suggestions or advice. The only one i've really found that is a possibility is by PRIMERA, the LX400, does anyone have any pros or cons regarding this model or the others. any feedback is appreciated!

I use the Primera LX400 and love it. The quality is outstanding and you can find labels rather cheaply. Depending on the colors of your label, ink can be a bit much. A cartridge runs about $45. You can buy refill kits that slash that price too. The software that it comes with isn't the greatest though. I would suggest using it to create your labels, but it's fine for adding the text. All graphics for mine is done using CS4 and I add the text through the printing software.

Before you buy new, use google and craigslist. I found mine with 12 rolls of labels and 7 ink cartridges from a business going under, and paid under a 1k for all!

What quantity are you running?
Is purchasing a printer more cost effective than doing a run of labels from a professional printer?

All the same label or several different ones?
Are these roll stock for a labeling machine? Sorry, not familiar with brand/model-

Until I'm ready to commit to a full run of professionally printed labels (...of which I usually design 90% myself and then have the pro's tweak it a little...) I print a master copy on my ink jet printer and take it to the local print shop for laser color copies. Sometimes I use a 14-up pre-cut Avery label and sometimes I use a full page Avery label which will accommodate 6,8 or 10 labels and then I cut them with the paper cutter at the shop.

Another trick for using ink jet labels, which will run when they get wet, is to print labels on the ink jet and then use an acrylic spray sealer on the sheets of labels. Spray the whole sheet, then apply to bottles.

This definitely is only a small run and temporary label set up, but it sure beats plunking down $1k.

Once I have the product, ingredients, and layout set, I prefer to have a professionally printed label since the recipe isn't going to change. There's tons of online label printers, but I use a semi-local print shop who I have used for 16 years. It's nice to have that face-to-face when needed.

I have several small batch items that i'm working on launching but not on a full processing scale. It looks that the investment will truly be worth it and probably save money because of a lot of printer minimums. I'm thinking if I have files for small batch stuff and seasonal sauces I can just run off exactly how many I need. By investing in a label printer i'm hoping to get quality labels on a variety of products and be able to do ones for short runs of sauce. This one does have a pretty decent variety of size and shape options as well.

It also gives you the flexibility to play around with your labels until you're really satisfied with them. I've been sitting here at the computer for the last 3 hours "changing" my labels for Liquid Napalm and Voodoo Ash.

I guess I'm lucky in that the 'small town' printer I work with will do short runs. The small runs I order are around 1200-1400. I know they would do a run of 500 or even less, if I asked them. For a few products that are marketed locally, I made home-made labels for about 5 years. I knew they will never be huge sellers, but the recipes were set, and I had labels printed for all the products knowing the quantities will last me for probably 5-7years.

I've been able to make due with the "home-printer" as products are being developed and test marketed at the farmer's markets because as a licensed processor, once the recipes are approved by "the powers that be", I can't change them. I might as well get some nice labels.

With the LX400, does it matter what design program you use, you said you use CS4. I guess what i mean is as long it I have the template set and the image ready to print i Don't have to reformat anything to print to the LX400?

Well, I have officially printed labels using the LX 400. I saved 600 dollars by going with a refurbished model, they are used at one trade show for display and then tested and packaged. I am extremely happy with this purchase and am already convinced that it will save money and time and also let us have a lot of fun doing small runs of any kind of labels we want!!! Thanks for the info on this thread.

Cool. The paper matters as much as the printer. Use a good coated paper. Uncoated looks homemade.

I know this is an old thread, but I am also looking to purchase my own printer.  I have tried several other options with 10-up sheet labels at fedex and special order rolls.  I have looked into the lx-400 and im curious to know if now, after years of experience, you would still recommend this printer?  Im not sure if you have any knowledge of the newer primera printer, lx-900? It runs about $2200 and my wallet hurts thinking about it, but Im wondering if it might be necessary for the long haul.  

Thoughts on the LX-400?

Thoughts on the LX-900?

Much appreciated!

Greetings, :welcome: to THP.

I can't speak to the quality of either of those printers.  However, one thing to consider when looking to drop that amount of coin is- do you do a lot of different short runs(50-200 units) or are you settled with a few label designs and looking to do some larger runs (500-2000 units)? 

I use a couple different professional printers.  Some labels are laser printed cut stock and I can get a run of 3000-5000 for $300.  The other labels I have are roll stock, little bit better stock, full color glossy, and they run about $300 for 3000.  After the initial set up of about $200, it's about $30-50 for each additional 1000 labels depending on label size. 

What I'm getting to is...you can get a whole lot of labels printed professionally for $2200.  I generally run 2000-3000 per run because it seems like my licensing authority is always changing what's required information on the label.  I don't want to be sitting on thousands of labels that I can't use because now they want some ingredient called out that didn't used to have to be called out.  

Good luck and if you do end up getting a printer, let us know how it's working for you.

salsalady

Back