artwork Labels - Just starting out

I've been spending a lot of time working on my sauces... now its time for some labels.

Since I'm just starting, I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. A few questions to start:

1. Can I use regular paper labels, or do I need to use water proof labels.
2. Can I use a regular deskjet printer - will that produce a decent first label. I obviously am not expecting a professional label, but I don't want it to look like junk either.
3. Is there a standard size for a 5oz woozy type bottle?

any other tips hints, etc. for a beginner cheap-skate!

Thanks,

-=john=-

Huvason,

Good score if they have 3x5 vinyl. The "arts and crafts" fun of hand lableing can get old pretty fast. I can't wait to find a co-packer with a lableing machine. I'm meeting with one on Thursday and really hope things go well. I missed it earlier in the thread, but will the vinyl take ink jet or does it have to be laser?

ChefEx said:
Huvason,

Good score if they have 3x5 vinyl. The "arts and crafts" fun of hand lableing can get old pretty fast. I can't wait to find a co-packer with a lableing machine. I'm meeting with one on Thursday and really hope things go well. I missed it earlier in the thread, but will the vinyl take ink jet or does it have to be laser?

ChefEx,
from what I found:

"Vinyl Labels for Inkjet Printing" - white weatherproof vinyl for inkjet printing

and Weatherproof Polyester Labels for Laser Printing

Dan, speaking of upgrading to the next level of labels to having one's own printer... jump while the iron is hot! Dude, a little peppermaster told me he's just about ready to order the printer... Call him (he's left a message with a local competitor of yours in ref to the LX810).

Ya okay, I was eavesdropping... what of it???

T

I want to do a very basic 3 x 5 label for a 5 ounce woozy bottle. Does anyone recommend someone who can create a basic design for me AND print the labels without having to purchase a ton of them? I'm willing to pay more per label. I'm not really picky about the material, but want it to hold up in the fridge. 

Your design
+
Inkjet (preferred) or laser printer
+
http://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx

I wouldn't look for an all-in-one. Designers aren't going to mess around with labels or printing. Pick a label from above, and you can print it on a home printer and it will be waterproof.

Thanks for the tip, I have never made a label before. I have a basic design, but I am not sure how to convert a drawing into a file. On top of that, my printer is not working, so I would have to take it down somewhere to get it printed. Maybe Fedex office. 
The Hot Pepper said:
Your design
+
Inkjet (preferred) or laser printer
+
http://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx

I wouldn't look for an all-in-one. Designers aren't going to mess around with labels or printing. Pick a label from above, and you can print it on a home printer and it will be waterproof.

1) Paper quality matters. Ever had a sauce that looked interesting but picked it up and the absorbancy of the paper made the bottle feel sticky despite perfect cleanliness? It's gross, don't go with cheap, thin, generic glossy paper like that. Not that it sounds like you intend to.

2) Whatever you think now, you will almost certainly end up on a stall some day in the rain, wishing your product was waterproof. Or sending a large package to someone and it arriving with a single bottle broken and having destroyed all the other labels. Neither is a good position to be in, waterproofing will atleast lessen the damage.

3) Products don't sell products, labels do. You yourself have input into sales. Your venue has input. Tasters can have input. Ultimately though, buying (or trying) a product is a decision based largely on looks as, before that initial hook, no customer knows anything about it. Repeat buisness and customer satisfaction depend on what's in the bottle or jar but that initial interest has a lot less to do with it (ingredients lists and gaps in labelling mean it's not totally irrellevant).

4) If you're selling online, invest some time in learning photography. I can't say I'm the best at it but even my images put some actual companies to shame. I've had great sauces that I honestly would never have spent money on beforehand because of how crap they looked on the company site.

Back