labels Labels & Label Printers

I have a question for everyone out there. Currently I design my labels for all my products and they are printed by my contact (im a private label). Many times they make mistakes in printing and many of the labels are below standard. I don’t always see them till its too late.

What I want to do is invest in a small colored printer (possibly digital) that does what I guess you could call food labels. Short runs where the labels are on a roll. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I want to cut the middle man out on printing the labels. I do ALOT of theme labels and want to be able to do them on the fly and not have to ask my printer to do them

Any help or replies will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

msdsauces said:
I have a question for everyone out there. Currently I design my labels for all my products and they are printed by my contact (im a private label). Many times they make mistakes in printing and many of the labels are below standard. I don’t always see them till its too late.

What I want to do is invest in a small colored printer (possibly digital) that does what I guess you could call food labels. Short runs where the labels are on a roll. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I want to cut the middle man out on printing the labels. I do ALOT of theme labels and want to be able to do them on the fly and not have to ask my printer to do them

Any help or replies will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Mike, just go out and get a color laser printer. They are relatively cheap. As long as you're not printing thousands of them, it should work pretty well. We printed our own for the first year...And yes, the ink is expensive, but it does allow you to make minor changes on the label whenever you want to.

The Creator is right on! There are also some very cost effective table top digital inkjet printers available. One in particular is the Primera LX810. This is a great little printer that can achieve some very good quality for your short run Private Labels. Give Jason Jansen a call at:

Jason Jansen
Sales Representative
Primera Technology, Inc.
Two Carlson Parkway N.
Plymouth MN 55447-4446
Phone # : (800) 797-2772 x234

I know the boys at Danny Cash Hot Sauce are using these printers and they are very happy with them. Danny and Lee are a couple of great guys that I know would answer any questions you might have regarding these printers. You can use what they have learned against what the salesman "claims" the printer can do.

Danny Cash Hot Sauce - dannycash@dannycash.com

Just tell Danny and Jason that Dan from BLP Labels referred you. Both of these guys are very helpful!

If you have any questions regarding larger run flexo labels, please don't hesitate to cantact me. Your printer should have provided you with an art approval that would have shown the mistakes before they went to plates.

Good Luck Mike!

Not for us. Considering myself and Maggie have regular jobs on top of this, everything we can out-source is better for us. Perhaps that will change when we conquer the world...But for now....

The only way it would be more cost effective is if you do a lot of private labeling with hundreds to thousands of skus. Tina - just curious... can you print 250,000 4 color process labels cost effectively?

Well, exactly. When you sell as many jars in a year as we do, you'll be buying your own printer... that's a given.

I have noticed the exact opposite. It becomes way more cost effective to use an actual Flexographic Label company the larger you quantities get. We can print 250,000 4 color process 3 X 5 labels in approx. 4-5 hours. (and that is taking into account lunches and breaks)

Are you figuring in your time to all your cost equasions? I don't know how many labels you go through but some of the digital/ribbon/inkjet printers I've seen out there can barely do 1000 labels in a day. And that is for a simple 2-3 color label at the lowest quality setting. I would like to learn more about the printer that you have. Can you email me specs? We have people ask about this type of thing all the time. Just like Mike was inquiring in this thread and the more help I can provide the better.

thanks!

I want to thank everyone for the reply’s and information. I just started looking at color lasers today. You’ll have to excuse me, my full time job I’m in IT, but when im off from work, its like my brain shuts down.

I’ll be making some phone calls over the next few days to see what I can afford and what I can get. I’m thinking probably the color laser; it can serve multiple purposes. I could then do flyers, catalogs and make some awesome colored introduction letters to prospective vendors.

I’ll keep ya all posted as to my progress.

Thanks again for the help!!!!
Mike

Dan@BLP Labels said:
The only way it would be more cost effective is if you do a lot of private labeling with hundreds to thousands of skus. Tina - just curious... can you print 250,000 4 color process labels cost effectively?

I have noticed the exact opposite. It becomes way more cost effective to use an actual Flexographic Label company the larger you quantities get. We can print 250,000 4 color process 3 X 5 labels in approx. 4-5 hours. (and that is taking into account lunches and breaks)

Are you figuring in your time to all your cost equasions? I don't know how many labels you go through but some of the digital/ribbon/inkjet printers I've seen out there can barely do 1000 labels in a day. And that is for a simple 2-3 color label at the lowest quality setting. I would like to learn more about the printer that you have. Can you email me specs? We have people ask about this type of thing all the time. Just like Mike was inquiring in this thread and the more help I can provide the better.

You have to bear in mind, we're not using a standard inkjet... Not for the price we paid. Our printer heat bonds the ink to the paper and can print double sided, collated, we can add a photocopy attachment, and scanner for another couple of thousand, although, for those functions we're using a $49 BJC all-in-one. The printer is the Canon C3200 Imagerunner.

I agree, when you get up there so that all you're printing is labels, we're into the flexo. But, in the meantime, we're saving a small fortune to have waterproof labels and the printer is also used for all of our marketing pieces too.

With the printer we've got, we could easily print over 100 labels a minute. And, I can do it long distance, as in, if I needed to alter something for a label and I was out of town, I could do it from Toronto, and have our staff overnight it to us. So, once we got past a certain number of bottles, it became highly cost effective to buy the printer. (We leased it for the first year). Because we have begun to do so much co-packing and private label work, our way, is highly cost-effective... for us. But I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. The key to why this is so cost effective for us is because we're printing over 100 different labels at any given time, and the fees from flexo to set-up every one of those labels at that level is anything BUT cost-effective. That said, When I start printing 250,000 labels a day, well, then it's obviously time to out-source again.

Cost-wise, we're printing our labels at about 2 cents a piece, full colour, waterproof and the only drawback we have is if we want a gloss finish, we have to take them to flexo and get them varnished. We haven't put the gloss on it yet, but we've priced how to do that and right now, printing the labels ourselves, varnishing them and then cutting them, actually saves us about 5-15 cents a label. That adds up.

Not everyone can run through their mid-range printing needs the way we have, most don't have an extra $20K in cash flow to tie up in a printer. But then, we are doing things a little differently than most.

In fact, based on what we have experienced, our average colleague out there isn't going to see the explosive growth we've seen. Mostly because they aren't doing what we do, nor are they doing it where we're doing it. And without that explosive growth, they're going to grow one sauce at a time, and flexo is a good place to be.

Our diverse printing needs requires the printer we purchased and it is justified by our business plan... But, that's us. I can't see you selling this sort of printer to your customers, but if you have smaller job runs this might be worth looking at to supplement your own printing abilities.

Email me if you can't find the specs for the printer.

T

Tina Brooks said:
You have to bear in mind, we're not using a standard inkjet... Not for the price we paid. Our printer heat bonds the ink to the paper and can print double sided, collated, we can add a photocopy attachment, and scanner for another couple of thousand, although, for those functions we're using a $49 BJC all-in-one. The printer is the Canon C3200 Imagerunner.

I agree, when you get up there so that all you're printing is labels, we're into the flexo. But, in the meantime, we're saving a small fortune to have waterproof labels and the printer is also used for all of our marketing pieces too.

With the printer we've got, we could easily print over 100 labels a minute. And, I can do it long distance, as in, if I needed to alter something for a label and I was out of town, I could do it from Toronto, and have our staff overnight it to us. So, once we got past a certain number of bottles, it became highly cost effective to buy the printer. (We leased it for the first year). Because we have begun to do so much co-packing and private label work, our way, is highly cost-effective... for us. But I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. The key to why this is so cost effective for us is because we're printing over 100 different labels at any given time, and the fees from flexo to set-up every one of those labels at that level is anything BUT cost-effective. That said, When I start printing 250,000 labels a day, well, then it's obviously time to out-source again.

Cost-wise, we're printing our labels at about 2 cents a piece, full colour, waterproof and the only drawback we have is if we want a gloss finish, we have to take them to flexo and get them varnished. We haven't put the gloss on it yet, but we've priced how to do that and right now, printing the labels ourselves, varnishing them and then cutting them, actually saves us about 5-15 cents a label. That adds up.

Not everyone can run through their mid-range printing needs the way we have, most don't have an extra $20K in cash flow to tie up in a printer. But then, we are doing things a little differently than most.

In fact, based on what we have experienced, our average colleague out there isn't going to see the explosive growth we've seen. Mostly because they aren't doing what we do, nor are they doing it where we're doing it. And without that explosive growth, they're going to grow one sauce at a time, and flexo is a good place to be.

Our diverse printing needs requires the printer we purchased and it is justified by our business plan... But, that's us. I can't see you selling this sort of printer to your customers, but if you have smaller job runs this might be worth looking at to supplement your own printing abilities.

Email me if you can't find the specs for the printer.

T

I know the type of printer you are talking about now. The quality you get must be fantastic, and yes that would work well for very small private run labels.

bwahaha! Funny, it would be a good point but what we saved on the printing is what paid for the printer.

Fortunately, there's more to this printer than just labels. All of our printing is done in house and there we save a good deal of money too Most importantly, when we do private labels, there's no enormous set up fees for them. In addition to that, of course, there are shelf talkers, flyers, recipe cards, calendars, cookbooks, and other things, not to mention standard printing and photocopying for the office. The machine gets its workout, even when we're not labelling. Ultimately, it all adds up.

T

Just a fast update. I found a very good high quality low cost color laser printer. Got a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2450. We have a Konica higher end color copier where I work so I was able to do some testing there beforehand. Konica also did some test prints of my stock and they came our near perfect.

Now im on to searching for label stock. The majority of my labels are 5 w x 3 h.

MindSlayer Mike

We have the same printer. It does a great job! Make sure you get the high volume toner cartriges...They aren't the easiest things to find, but man what a money saver. Good luck.

You didn't buy the printer off an Amish guy because he couldn't find an outlet in his house, did you? :lol:

Already a step ahead of you on the high volumes. The company I purchased the printer from stocks the cartridges so it made things easier. Do you print 5x3 labels on yours? I’m looking for something similar to a 5168 Avery label.

Amish. :lol: actually I was going to see if the Amish could do the labels. They all have housefuls of kids and I gave them a bucket of crayons. For some reason they all ran away screaming when they seen the mindslayer skull on shirt. Lol

Back