• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lacewings

As some of you know i released ladybugs a month or so back. I was worried they would escape the basement and migrate upstairs. Well that never happened nor did they lay any eggs and have almost vanished. There is a few hanging around but I've started noticing the aphids again squashing them as i go. I'm tempted just to buy another batch and release half when they get here and the rest later. Now i would think that will get me far enough down the rd that i can start moving them outside but idk... I'm so sick of fighting these damn things I'm looking into different options. The next on my list is lacewing larvae but i have the same fears i did before i ordered ladybugs. I guess I'm looking to hear from others that have used these to find out what to expect.

They don't look like the type of insect that would really like aphids that much because of the size difference. My solution is more ladybugs, and then the lacewings are more mobile/less likely to fall off a thin branch and will eat what's left.

EDIT: Even better idea. Look into stuff that aphids can't tolerate. Not exactly organic, but it works.
PART 2: Salt maybe? Haven't tried it, but aphids are kinda vulnerable to desiccation./Earlier info was VERY bad, and I didn't realize what i was saying.

Lacewing larvae are great for aphid control. I had some on a couple of plants last year and had no aphids or whiteflies on the plants with the larvae, while the plants without any larvae on them had aphids and whiteflies. Only disadvantage I know of with lacewings compared to ladybugs is the adult ladybugs will also eat aphids, while the adult lacewings won't. 

Back