• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lack of calcium?

Someof my plants got leaf like this. I think its lack of calcium, it always start when the plant is getting some height and many leafs. I have used some calcium nitrate and epsom salt (cant get cal-mag in any shop). I know that leafs that is curled cant be fixed, but small leafs that are curled, when they grow out, would the new part on that leaf be fine? I did try to use bone meal some, but bone meal dont work as fast as calcium nitrate so i have used 1tbsp in 1 gallon water to see if that helps. I did use maybe 1/4 gallon of this solution on 30+ plants togheter with normal water. on my last two watering, does that sound ok? To much or to little?

2014-05-17%2009.53.03%20%28Medium%29.jpg

2014-05-17%2009.53.11%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Lack of the ability to absorb calcium is more like it. Try to increase the life in your soil with some compost, or wormcastings, AACT, or humas.

ability to absorb nutrients based on PH, might want to check the soil PH to make sure its 6-6.5 

but yes the leaf curl looks like overwatering or calcium defficiency

My PH is to high, its 7.0 I did try to change some of the soil to a soil with lower PH, but its still 7.0. Since i have them in pots, is there something i can use to lower the PH when i watering them? Coffe? Ammonium nitrate (if i can get it) or something else that will work? The new leaf looks ok after i gave them calcium, but if the PH needs to be 6-6,5 then i need to lower it.

I know that now, but i dont have room for bigger pots yet, so i cant transfer them to bigger pots with lots of new soil. But could i remove the soil between the roots to change more soil? Isnt there any thing i can have in the water to lower the ph?

Coffee...

Not grounds as they are almost neutral after brewing. Maybe try a little left over brewed coffee diluted with water.

Pour some out for the hommies
oneformyhomies.gif

Also Microbes tend to like coffee from my experience.... Leave the filter unchanged for a few days and you will know what I mean :rolleyes:

pwb said:
I know that now, but i dont have room for bigger pots yet, so i cant transfer them to bigger pots with lots of new soil. But could i remove the soil between the roots to change more soil? Isnt there any thing i can have in the water to lower the ph?
 Fresh lemon juice.

pwb said:

If you are using tap water, collect some rain water which usually has lower pH.  Adding sawdust or similar is good when mixing up a batch of soil but will take far too long applied to the soil surface.

You can literally mix some vinegar into the water you use.  However I would buy some cheap ~ $2 pH test strips off eBay to make sure you aren't making the water too acidic.  If you are anxious and can't wait then I'd put a couple teaspoons in the next gallon of water.

Back