• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lady Beetles

I released Lady Beetles aka Ladybugs into my "greenhouse" in order to control a small aphid issue attacking my precious pepper plants.  These Ladybugs are commonly sold at nurseries for around $5 a pack. There is a discussion on applying Ladybugs to control aphid infestation on a blog at ucanr.edu which may be of interest to you. http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=13933

In summary:

• Lady beetles require special care in order to control aphids
  • Use adequate release rates
  • Lady beetles need a good supply of aphids
  • Release at dusk
  • Expect them to "fly away"
  • Lady beetles deteriorate rapidly

Not one of 100's of bugs are on my plants eating pests. 

My Ladybugs "clowning around" on a Juanito's (Cardi) West Indies Caribbean Red Seedling :

I09MNkLl.jpg

theyre actually doing exactly what you want.  Its the nymphs (adolescents) that eat the most aphids.  Generally bugs have short lives and really only spend theyre adult lives trying to reproduce before they croak.  theyll lay a ton of eggs and when they hatch its game on.  Interesting side point, aphids actually live on nitrogen so heavily fertilized plants are especially sweet and alluring to aphids.  Good on you to take the natural approach!

The ones I captured last year all had what looked like green moss/mold patches on their backs, didnt do anything to the Aphids, wondering if their all sick like many other local good insects.

rkempston said:
You have more patience than me, i tried one natural remedy then i went to the pesticide. I put in too much work and time and effort to have the little bastards kill my pride and joys. 
it only takes 3-5 days for eggs to hatch.  A blast from a hose easily damages aphids delicate mouth parts and removes them from the plant. 

If you have a small scale grow, you can take it personal and pleasurable, by squishing them with with your index and thumb.

Great results too!

Lovepeppers said:
If you have a small scale grow, you can take it personal and pleasurable, by squishing them with with your index and thumb.

Great results too!
Mine is very small scale grow. But my aphid problem is not. Probably a hundred aphids on a leaf. I have tried strong pesticides and they still are there. Before the cold weather these little flys would come and eat them up. But since they haven't been around I've had to take matters into my own hands.

aphids are born pregnant.  thats why you look one day and theres a million. in nature you need a healthy prey population so that when ladybugs and the like show up they have something to eat.  ive never actually seen any aphids on my peppers, they like my parsnips, most likely because they are green and thriving in early spring when aphids show up. 

Back