• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Lady Bugs

This may seem like a stupid question, but I've never noticed ladybugs being any other color but red. I've taken a couple of pictures of what appears to be a ladybug on my crape myrtles. Can someone positively identify this as a ladybug?

ladybugs002.jpg

ladybugs004.jpg

ladybugs005.jpg

I get them in all colors and sizes-orange(no dots and with dots) , different shades of red and orange along with ones like you pictured here.
I think it is a ladybug.
I even have brown , mini sized ones for whitefly control.

That is a squash bug. It is NOT any kind of ladybug. They are bad news to plants!!!!! Get rid of them quick!!! They will destroy a garden.

Just trying to help,
Charles

I dont think its a squash bug...

From Uni of Minnesota...

The squash bug can be misidentified as a stinkbug. Both insects look similar and emit a distinct odor when crushed; however, the stinkbug is not a pest of cucurbits and is more commonly associated with tomatoes or various legumes such as soybeans and peas.

Squash bug adults (see image, left) are 5/8 in. long and 1/3 as wide. They are usually gray to black with the edges of the abdomen having orange and brown stripes. Nymphs are 3/16 to 1/2 in. in length. Young nymphs have a red head and legs with a green abdomen, however as the nymphs age the red color will turn to black. Late instar nymphs will be greenish-gray in color with black appendages (see below, left).

sqadult.jpg

Just my 2 cents..

Quick simple google search will show...

The spotted cucumber beetle (Diabrotica undecimpunctata) is a major agricultural pest insect (see also cucumber beetle). In the adult form it eats and damages leaves of many crops, including cucumbers, soybeans, cotton, beans and many others. In the larval form, which is known as the southern corn rootworm, it tunnels through the roots of young plants, stunting or killing them. These native pests have a wide range of host plants, but will readily infest a field of crop plants, most notoriously corn.

Adult beetles are greenish-yellow with six large black spots on each elytron. They are about half a centimeter long. The larvae are yellowish and wormlike.

900.jpg

I learned what those are last year ..... bad news !! I used a Ferti-lome product but I'll be darned if I can find the name ( for sure ) on the bottle.
Active ingredients are Spinosad ( mixture of Spinosad A & Spinosad B ) it's an organic product , safie and does them and other bugs in.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I did a google search on "ladybugs" to get pictures of what they looked liked. In the description, it says ladybugs come in different colors so I wasn't sure if it was a ladybug or not.

Anyways, thanks to all for the responses.

reminds of the little kid cartoon, where an infant is petting a skunk saying "good kitty".

hey.................. what's that squishing sound I hear?

chilehead70301 said:
This may seem like a stupid question, but I've never noticed ladybugs being any other color but red.

You've never encountered those Japanese ones (they look just like the regular ones, but are usually orange instead of red)? I'll just say... you're freaking lucky. Basically, every fall a bunch of them decide to come indoors for the winter. I don't remember when exactly they started to get bad, but it was several years ago. Meanwhile, the "native" (ie. red) ones, I rarely ever see those. I'd rather see those, since they don't make a habit of trying to invade homes during the fall.

The Japanese ones like to nip you and do come inside BUT if you grow peppers inside early they are handy to have around as they will keep your plants free of the nasties that like to eat tender young pepper seedlings. I guess for that I can put up with them.

Back