• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Ladybugs in my/your grow room?

I am waging an ongoing battle, as many other are, with aphids.
I am using an insecticidal soap to control them on my 2 month old plants, but certainly not winning the war.

I am pondering the purchase of 100-200 ladybugs and letting them loose in my grow room.

Any downside to this tactic in the war against aphids?

I fight mice by keeping a cat around, spiders get five star treatment to stop cockroaches or anything else I don't want in my home, and been releasing ladybugs and praying mantis on and off for more than a decade. If your raising water melon, squash, or cucumbers you better have praying mantis too.

I don't know what it's like in Ohio but we have plenty of invasive ladybugs inside the house from the previous autumn right now.  Just rangle them up and put them in the grow area :)  with any luck they'll lay eggs.

winland said:
I am waging an ongoing battle, as many other are, with aphids.
I am using an insecticidal soap to control them on my 2 month old plants, but certainly not winning the war.

I am pondering the purchase of 100-200 ladybugs and letting them loose in my grow room.

Any downside to this tactic in the war against aphids?
it depends on how big your grow is and the level of impact of the infestation. that said, in my experience with lady bugs vs. aphids, out of the 200 purchased ladybugs less than 1% will have any immediate interest in eating aphids. it is only after 24-48 hours in the infest zone that the ladybugs that STAY will begin to eat. you are more fortunate if they start laying eggs soon after release.

CAPCOM said:
... of the 200 purchased ladybugs less than 1% will have any immediate interest in eating aphids. it is only after 24-48 hours in the infest zone that the ladybugs that STAY will begin to eat. you are more fortunate if they start laying eggs soon after release.
Would there be any merit to keeping the ladybugs secured in a fine-mesh enclosure -- perhaps a 5-gallon paint filter bag tied over one or more small plants -- for those first 24-48 hours? If they laid any eggs, those eggs would likely be deposited on the plant(s) they're enclosed with....
...Ahem, i also wouldn't want to be an aphid in that enclosure, but your most-infested pepper plant(s) get a chance to feel like the Guest Of Honor at a love-in.

I've never had a situation that called for ladybugs. This is fascinating info.

Though I did not overwinter any plants this year, I've overwintered all past years that I've grown chiles, and note that I am also in Ohio. I first ordered from Hirts, on Amazon, and the ladybugs did nothing about the aphids. Then I learned that Hirts doesn't have a good rep for ladybugs here at all. I next bought from buglogical.com, and have kept doing so each year because the ladybugs they send decimate the aphids. BOOM - gone. However, you've got a few things to learn. The first thing you want to do upon getting them is give them some water. They'll come in a mesh bag and you can just sprinkle water on it. Put them in the fridge to calm down a bit, then release them into your grow room at night. Ensure there are cotton balls soaked with water around the plants so they can continue to have a water supply. Put fresh water-logged cotton balls out every day. When the aphids are gone, you are going to need to feed them if you can't get them outside. A mix of agave nectar and water soaked into cotton balls does the trick for a while. However, it's unlikely they will survive long after the aphids are gone.

But here's the thing - you have sprayed with insecticidal soap to kill the aphids, and that will also kill the ladybugs. Good thing is insecticidal soap doesn't last really long, but go ahead and hose/spray down with plain water a few times. Usually the effects of the soap will wear off in a couple weeks max. When you release the ladybugs, only do part at a time. You'll find out quickly enough if there's still too much insecticidal soap on the plants. If you release the last ones and still have an aphid problem, make note to yourself to get the ladybugs first in the future.

PS - After recovering from the trip and getting liquid, the ladybugs often want to mate before finding food. Don't worry, they will be hungry within a couple of days.

mikeg said:
Would there be any merit to keeping the ladybugs secured in a fine-mesh enclosure -- perhaps a 5-gallon paint filter bag tied over one or more small plants -- for those first 24-48 hours? If they laid any eggs, those eggs would likely be deposited on the plant(s) they're enclosed with....
...Ahem, i also wouldn't want to be an aphid in that enclosure, but your most-infested pepper plant(s) get a chance to feel like the Guest Of Honor at a love-in.

I've never had a situation that called for ladybugs. This is fascinating info.
if you can keep the ladybugs in the environment of infestation, YES, that would help immensely. ladybugs that are shipped in like to wonder and fly off after release. That is why most instruct you to release in the early evening when they are less likely to take flight.
geeme said:
Though I did not overwinter any plants this year, I've overwintered all past years that I've grown chiles, and note that I am also in Ohio. I first ordered from Hirts, on Amazon, and the ladybugs did nothing about the aphids. Then I learned that Hirts doesn't have a good rep for ladybugs here at all. I next bought from buglogical.com, and have kept doing so each year because the ladybugs they send decimate the aphids. BOOM - gone. However, you've got a few things to learn. The first thing you want to do upon getting them is give them some water. They'll come in a mesh bag and you can just sprinkle water on it. Put them in the fridge to calm down a bit, then release them into your grow room at night. Ensure there are cotton balls soaked with water around the plants so they can continue to have a water supply. Put fresh water-logged cotton balls out every day. When the aphids are gone, you are going to need to feed them if you can't get them outside. A mix of agave nectar and water soaked into cotton balls does the trick for a while. However, it's unlikely they will survive long after the aphids are gone.

But here's the thing - you have sprayed with insecticidal soap to kill the aphids, and that will also kill the ladybugs. Good thing is insecticidal soap doesn't last really long, but go ahead and hose/spray down with plain water a few times. Usually the effects of the soap will wear off in a couple weeks max. When you release the ladybugs, only do part at a time. You'll find out quickly enough if there's still too much insecticidal soap on the plants. If you release the last ones and still have an aphid problem, make note to yourself to get the ladybugs first in the future.

PS - After recovering from the trip and getting liquid, the ladybugs often want to mate before finding food. Don't worry, they will be hungry within a couple of days.
yes to all of the above, misting the plants prior to release also helps in keeping the ladybugs put. Ideally, if none of the ladybugs I have ever released didn't consume any aphids themselves, I would not be disappointed as long as 75% of them laid eggs in the infest site. The lady bug larvae are far more voracious than the ladybugs s themselves.

Thanks to all of the input.
My grow room is definitely an enclosed area, so they will not be flying off anywhere.
Thanks "geeme" for the tips about the water-logged cotton balls. 
I had not heard or read that suggestion anyplace else.

winland said:
Thanks to all of the input.
My grow room is definitely an enclosed area, so they will not be flying off anywhere.
Thanks "geeme" for the tips about the water-logged cotton balls. 
I had not heard or read that suggestion anyplace else.
My room is enclosed also, straying LBs are still a problem. If they are not on the plants , they are not eating and or laying their eggs in close proximity to the pest. LB larvae will not hatch and crawl 15 feet across the room to your grow. you need to keep the LBs ON the vegetation.

If ordering from buglogical.com you will find the minimum order is for something like 1,500 ladybugs. Some won't survive the trip, so you won't have that many in actuality. However, there are still a large number that do survive. I don't have an enclosed grow room, but just a room at the back of my house where I keep the plants during the winter. Yes, the ladybugs wander, crawling mostly but sometimes flying. Yes, I've found them in all kinds of places around the house. But it only takes a few hanging around to wipe out the aphids. It sounds like your grow room is much more enclosed than the room where I keep my plants, so I wouldn't stress about it. Yes, ideally they'll stay on the plants, but it's really hard to keep them there in my situation. When I find some in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc., I simply pick them up and relocate to the plants. Often when they've wandered too far away they're both thirsty and hungry so bringing them back to the plants helps solve both situations. It's kind of amusing in a way - put a very thirsty one onto or very close to a damp cotton ball and you'll see it totally flatten out its body as it drinks, legs pointing straight out. Once it gets liquid, it gets hunting. 

Another little bit of noteworthy info - the females won't lay eggs in a place away from a food source. That will include your plants after the aphids and aphid eggs have all been eaten. That's one reason why you'll want to get agave nectar if it's still too cold outside.

If soapy water isn't working. No way you'll be able to keep enough lady bugs indoors to handle that problem. Neem oil is your best bet. If that doesn't work you're kind of SOL

ColdSmoke said:
If soapy water isn't working. No way you'll be able to keep enough lady bugs indoors to handle that problem. Neem oil is your best bet. If that doesn't work you're kind of SOL
I disagree. I will never use neem oil again for aphids much less anything else. There are ways to get rid of aphids or keep them in check. Total eradication is costly
  and you have to evaluate the damage done, the recovery time after eradication and the viability of scorched earth and a possible restart vs. the method I am referring to. I have aphids in the grow room right now and not one is on any of my pepper plants. That is what I mean by keeping them in check.

I've never used neem oil, but there are many posts on this site from people who did damage their plants using it. Poke around a bit and you'll find some, particularly of very young plants. 

ColdSmoke said:
If soapy water isn't working. No way you'll be able to keep enough lady bugs indoors to handle that problem. 

Also, I disagree with this statement, as well. I've had huge success with ladybugs ever since I started getting them from buglogical.com, which is several years. If you're not having success with ladybugs, either you killed them with application of insecticide or you did not get them from a good source.

I got my Ladybugs delivered this afternoon.
The local post office saw "Live Animals" on the package and made a special delivery out to my home after the regular mail had been delivered.

I will wait until later this evening and spray down the plants, put a bunch of wet cotton balls around and release them after I turn out the lights.
In a couple days, I will post a report as to any early success or dismal failure.

So yesterday I found two lady bugs that had made there way inside so I redirected them onto one pepper plant that was having some little bugs under the leaves I thought were spider mites but maybe something else. Anyway I checked them when I got home from work and the lady bugs were gone, and so was every visible pest that was on there and there was a at least fifteen I would have guessed. I made the pepper spray but I thought I would try that. I can not believe that it really worked, and worked so well!

I got the 150 ladybugs on Wednesday.
There was probably about 10% DOA when I opened the bag.
Since then I probably have lost about 50%.  
Possibly due to insecticidal  soap residue on the pepper leaves or just failure to thrive.
I kept the cotton balls moist and misted the plants a couple times per day.

I am hoping that the surviving ladybugs will lay eggs, they have certainly been fornicating.
I ordered the ladybugs from GardeningZone.com via Amazon for $8.00 including shipping.
I think it was worth the 8 bucks.  I just wish I had order a larger quantity.
There are certainly a lot fewer aphids and you should have seen the aphids RUN when a ladybug approached.

Ladybugs_zpslnipljpt.jpg

Back