• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Landscape Fabric

Well the past few years we have used black plastic mulch in rows to grow our peppers and tomatoes. This year, I decided I would rather use fabric like they use in greenhouses. Nicer and is reusable and lets water through unlike plastic mulch. Found rolls online but very expensive. Lowes has it for $11.00 for a 3' x 50' roll. WELL>...our local Aldi's store had it in a flyer this weekend for a 3' x 50' roll for less than $4 with a 5 year warranty. Wife went and bought 10 rolls for $34.90! woohoo! That is 3' x 500' for less than $40. Good deal

I tried the five year stuff last year and didn't have the greatest luck. It might have been a different brand but when I polled it up this spring it had weeds that grew through it already. It seemed that the weave was more open and thinner on this. I also used the thirty year stuff and had great luck with that. This year I am going to use the brown paper in rolls from Menards. It is biodegradable and I can till it in at Tue end of the year. Plus you and mulch clippings over the top.

I am having a hard time deciding to go with fabric or black plastic. I have so many cold nights here in the Seattle area and think the black plastic would help, but wonder if the fabric would do the same thing. I hope more folks chime in on this thread.

I wanted to use filter fabric but my local nusery reccomemded using 4" of Hay or alfalfa as mulch. Hope it works, or I will be using the fabric next year. I love the look of the filter fabric all nice and clean and hi-tech. (compared to hay)

I like to use Oak leaves for mulch. I save some bags when people put them at the curb... I get 20 or so, use a few as mulch to help with weeds and dump the rest int the composter for the next season. after they are watered a lil, they kinda weave or stick together. It's just so hot here the ground dries out fast when the sun is beatin down.

Beag. Are you sure the hay wont blow all over the place in the high winds?

I was worried about that but I left the soil 4 inches low and have a lip under the I-beam of my raised bed. Hopefully it will trap the hay. My only issue with the fabric which is specific to my area is the black fabric will heat up crazy at 110 degrees this summer but seems great for cooler areas.

The next time your out riding in the farm land look at what the framers use. Black or clear plastic, why?? it not only helps heat up the soil it holds in the moisture, fabric would let the ground dry much faster.

Hawaii no doubt about that. We have been using black plastic mulch for several years. It hold in the heat and moisture very well. My only issue is 3 fold. 1. its a pain to put down unless u buy an expensive implement to do it. 2. Its a pain to pull back up and 3. I have noticed it seems to be a haven for stink bugs that love to eat my melons.

Back