• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Large types

Hello Aaron,
If you're talking pod size, and aren't focused on a super hot, then I'd have to say plan old Poblanos.
My plants get huge in a single season and produce quite well.
That said, this is my first year growing the Trinidad 7 Pod Burgundy from PepperLover, and I have big hopes for a crop of large pods that are very hot.  :party:

Try Hot paper Lantern Habanero.  Plant has heavy yield in good growing conditions, I am growing two plants this year. 

Thanks for the responses. To clarify a bit, I was thinking about which one grow the largest size plants, and produce a whole lot of peppers. You know like a 6 foot tall 3-4 foot wide plant that is loaded with peppers. As far as heat I am open to the extremely hot, to mild but looking for the stuff you cannot find in regular stores. Once again thanks for all the input, as I have not been around here long enough to really know these things.

Fatalii: large plant with heavy yield.  I'm sure there are a lot of posters that would agree.  They're quite hot, I don't know about superhot but they taste amazing.

Most plants should get 6' tall and just as wide in one year. Most plants should produce loads of pods on said plants. Most growers think they know better than ma and try to out do her and end up growing subpar plants.

Yeah I think lots of peppers will meet that description (assuming you agree on flavor) if you put them in a big pot or in the ground. Are you in an area in florida where you can grow them perrenial?

Spicy Mushroom,
Yes I am in zone 9B. I grew a Naga Morich which produced for almost four years before I pulled it, as it was in a large pot I needed. Its 'die hard' because I decided to keep it outside the pot and see what it can tolerate, and its still kicking to this day. Whole root mass and all. It really can take a beating.

Its good to know a lot of them can grow big. Are there any general rules as to which cultivars get the largest, or are there really no similarities?

I am growing the Fatali so that is good to know. I agree its a nice tasting pepper.

Thanks for the replies guys, its appreciated.

chile_freak said:
Just stay away from ornamental hybrids, the usually are like determinate tomato species at least in my experience
I might be one of the only posters that has a soft spot for this type of pepper :P

Probably because it was Thais that kickstarted my capsaicin obsession

Well if you can grow perennial I wouldn't dream of putting them in anything under 5 gallons. Hell I would opt for 10 gallon +

I don't see why any Chinese wouldn't be HUGE and prolific say second season in a huge pot.

I am in zone 9b too [I think], but I am pretty sure I need to add just a little protection for the winter.

ikeepfish said:
I might be one of the only posters that has a soft spot for this type of pepper :P

Probably because it was Thais that kickstarted my capsaicin obsession
I just meant they don't get as large as most of the other varieties, Thais are awesome but they are not ornamentals, I was referring to, Chinese 5 color, golden nugget, filius blue, Bolivian rainbow, etc.

Back