• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Late Start Scotch Bonnet

I have been on somewhat of a Scotch Bonnet kick this year. It will probably be even more extensive next year, as I have ordered seeds from just about every type of Scotch bonnet that I know of. Anyway, I found some seeds laying around kind of late in the season and so I decided to plant them. I believe they came from Baker's Creek with a large order a couple of years ago and I never got around to Growing these. The plant is small probably less than a foot-and-a-half tall and about the same width, but man is it loaded with pods! I really like the looks of this pepper and can't wait for one to ripen to see how they taste.
5b969941f7e90a9ea59f7a8839caf270.jpg
29b73fb30742c2e3638881d2729f763e.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I just wanted to toss out a "+1" and say yeah, those are Jamaican 'Shrooms which are annuums which is probably a huge help when you'be planted late anyway. Looks great.

I also wanna say that Trident was a huge help in terms of getting more esoteric types of Bonnets.. Huge help to us rookie THPers

Trident chilli said:
Chris these are Jamaican Yellow Squash/Mushroom chillies which are an C. Annumm and not technically a Scotch Bonnet which is C.Chinense. Good to know another Bonnet enthusiast if I can help you with seed just give me a shout
Well that is disappointing, but I am really liking this plant so its not a total loss. Thanks for the info. I will put the proper labeling on it for next year's grow.

BTW, you say "not technically a Scotch Bonnet." So I assume that they are considered to be Bonnets by some people? If not, why were they labeled as such if they are not even Chinense? Seems misleading to me.

CMJ said:
Well that is disappointing, but I am really liking this plant so its not a total loss. Thanks for the info. I will put the proper labeling on it for next year's grow.

BTW, you say "not technically a Scotch Bonnet." So I assume that they are considered to be Bonnets by some people? If not, why were they labeled as such if they are not even Chinense? Seems misleading to me.
Chris the Jamaican Squash/Mushroom has been botanically assessed as C.Chinense however the leaf is clearly that of an Annumm and that is what I mean by "not technically an SB" ... as for labelling I blame the seed vendors for misleading customers... please if you want true SB seed this forum is the place to shop people here are only too pleased to trade and as I said earlier I am more than happy to start you on your next season bonnet grow

CMJ said:

Having the same problem here, ordered 750 seeds of Scotch Bonnet red and they turned out to be Mushroom reds also :(
It is a really nice chili but still not what was expected.

Apparently a normal mixup due to they look alike.

Reactions: CMJ
Back