• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

leaf and flower drop

hey all, i need some help troubleshooting this indoor plant...
previously (early june), it had thrips: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68581-thrips-pest-id-small-bugs-black-spots-on-leaves
i eradicated them with spinosad spray, and the plant recovered nicely. no more leaf drop, no more visible larvae.

the plant looked good, and i got a pepper harvest between then and now.

however, for the last week or two, leaf drop has resumed. also, it had a bunch of open flowers, and basically all of them fell off.
the leaves that are falling off now resemble thrip damage (yellowing, black spots along veins from feeding).
i'm not so sure it's thrips though. i think that what i'm seeing is pre-existing thrip damage from last month, but the yellowing and leaf drop may be from something else. i've carefully inspected the plant a bunch of times, and i can't find any larvae.

even so, i gave it another spinosad treatment last week thinking maybe i missed them in the visual inspection, but it didn't improve.

example of dropped leaves:
xkztmGB.jpg

MHLAOte.jpg

that crap on the back is just some edema from overwatering early on.

shot from today:
Qen1UGU.jpg

the plant looks kinda good except that some leaves are falling off.
seems like it's old growth that's affected:
Wrdpktm.jpg

new growth seems ok?
8XKxPow.jpg

it's in potting soil. i've been feeding it with dyna-grow FP (1/4 tsp/gal), but somewhat recently i've changed to weekly feeding with 1 tsp/gal to simplify things (less preparation of nutrient solution). could that be it?

today it's due for its weekly feeding, but i'm going to hold off just in case.

thanks

Potting soil, or potting mix?

It looks fine now, but you really should always be a bit conservative on feed amounts, if you're unsure. Also, it really helps to do a slurry test, when you start having problems.

I think that product is only recommended at 1 teaspoon per gallon if you're feeding twice per month. If feeding weekly, I would go with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon at the most.

solid7 said:
Potting soil, or potting mix?

It looks fine now, but you really should always be a bit conservative on feed amounts, if you're unsure. Also, it really helps to do a slurry test, when you start having problems.

MG potting mix, sorry. although i figured that anything for potting would be a mix. is there such a thing as potting soil distinct from potting mix?

yea the plant looks fine mostly, but could it really be normal for it to rapidly lose all its flowers and lose at least couple leaves most days?

Edmick said:
I think that product is only recommended at 1 teaspoon per gallon if you're feeding twice per month. If feeding weekly, I would go with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon at the most.

dunno, it appears to be labeled for 1tsp/gal/wk

Maintenance: Mix ¼-½ tsp. per gallon of water with every watering.
Production: Mix 1 tsp. per gallon of water, once a week.
Monthly Feeding: Use 2-3 tsp. per gallon of water.

Back