• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf curl on White Devil's Tongue

Has anyone seen this before? 

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

For some reason my White Devil's Tongue is getting bad leaf curl. It's getting the same treatment as all the other ladies and is the only one showing this symptom. Thoughts?

gingivitis?

j/p

I do not know the answer, but I had a few plants all from the same parent seed stock and one of them required (not desired, but would have died otherwise) more N. Now, I am definitely not saying you need more N, just that this one plant may have different needs than the rest and the uniform treatment may have been the direct cause - All hypothetical or course. :)

But you may want to experiment with a very small increase in specific nutes. Emphasize small increases. I would start with cal mag, though I do not think that is specifically the issue, you need to start somewhere (if you can't get a better answer than this one) and cal mag is not gonna kill the plant if you have a little too much.

You could always start over with that one by flushing the soil out and enacting a totally new fert method.

Just a few ideas for thought, sorry I don't have a direct answer.

Also, keep in mind that the leaves that are already affected are not likely to ever fix themselves. The new growth will tell you if what you are doing is right or wrong. Of course, if the old growth dies off, then something may be off. The old growth may never be normal again, but it should live.

PS: every one of my pepper plants that has had that kind of curl for me has eventually grown out of it seemingly on their own. Maybe I did something without knowing it.... was not a controlled experiment, so can't be sure.

hmmmmm....a few of my seedlings I transplated from solo cups to 2 liter pots have the opposite....leafs curled down? Not to hijack...but  Any ideas as to that leaf curl problem..?  They were curled down in the solo cups prior to transplant...so don't think it's transplant shock.

If there is yellowing of the leaf edges it can also be a K deficiency. K def. can make the plant more susceptible to heat stress, which may result in leaf edges curly upwards as the plant tries to "sweat". 

meinchoh said:
Typically, leaf curl is a sign of calcium deficiency. They are kinda young though...

Any calcium treatment will only help with new growth.

I'll be sure to give her some CalMag during the next watering to see how that helps.

Pfeffer said:
It looks more like overwatering than as a deficiency to me. Just water a bit less and punch some drainage holes in the cups.

You might be onto something here. I do think I was overwatering early on in the process but I have cut that back drastically since potting up. I only water about twice a week now. I'll double check the drainage holes tonight on that cup to ensure that they aren't clogged or something along those lines.

ronaldo_fanbelt said:
Both of my white devil's tongue are doing the exact same thing. Mine are a little larger, I'll let you know if they stop doing it.

Interesting... I wonder if this is just a sensitive/needy plant? It's kind of funny when you look at a group shot and all the other plants are thriving and my WDT looks like she's pouting lol. I have a Yellow Devil's Tongue and she's doing just fine though...

Drainage holes don't really clog, don't worry about that. If you have them you are fine. Small pots will show these overwatering issues quite fast, it's basic math actually.. Potting soil can take about 10% (weight) of water, offcourse depending on the type of soil used (fibrous material holds more water) without drowning the roots. So if your plants consumes more than that you can't just poor more in, you'll need to water more frequently.

Moral of the story; larger containers will make a hell of a difference. The moisture management is a lot better. A slightly larger container already makes a huge difference in volume:

A 7x7cm square pot is ~0.20 liter
A 9x9cm square pot is ~0.55 liter
A 11x11cm square pot is ~1.10 liter

For future, if you mix a higher % of perlite [how much? I suggest experimenting. grow out more plants than you need and play with a few of them] with the current mixture, the porosity will increase as well as the drainage. Just be sure not to let the roots dry up as high porosity usually means more frequent watering. But you will have a much less probability of over watering.

I was watering and found my pot of White Devils tongue. It has leaf curl too. Seems to maybe be a bit predispositioned to it. 

D3monic said:
I was watering and found my pot of White Devils tongue. It has leaf curl too. Seems to maybe be a bit predispositioned to it. 

predispositioned ?  way to big of a word for a friday my friend ! lol     :onfire:

D3monic said:

Genetic then maybe? It has it in them there genes me thunks. 
ah much better !     :onfire:
i have some doing the same thing ,  4 of 8 chocolate lavas leaves were twisted up . other 4 are fine . mutants i guess , couldn't get them to snap out of it . so i ditched them .  :onfire:

So I topped the DTW and clipped the curled up leafs a couple weeks ago. Here's how she's looking now:

DSC_0066.jpg

She's VERY bushy compared to the others. 

Back