• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

disease Leaf curling and chlorosis on my habanero

I left my place for 3 weeks, during this time my peppers were watered frequently.

When I came back I see these weird leaves on my habanero pepper plant.
Без имени-2.png

The moment I touched the plant a few old leaves just fell off. They were green and looking healthy although a little wilty, but fell off from just touching them.
Some leaves have chlorosis. Just after I took the picture another leaf fell off. (It's in red circle on pic).

Other chinense peppers also have some degree of this. Trinidad Scorpion:
1 plant:
1658342177793.png

This one looks healthy, and no leaves fell off this plant.

2 plant — it's actually two plants in one pot (closest to the habanero):
1658342342013.png

This one shed 10-15 leaves the moment I touched it. Like a looot of leaves. The top part is leaves, the bottom is mostly a naked stem.

My cabaca vermelho (two plants in one pot):
1658342997690.png

1658343098759.png

1658343117748.png

This one has wilting ends on leaves and chlorosis, and the leaves curl as well.

And lastly my Trinidad Congo:
1658343463426.png

All my chinense peppers have the same problem.

My Annuum peppers look amazing and are producing fruits, the leaves are healthty and don't fall off.

I have a fungus gnat ifestation, but I don't know if the leaf problem appeared because of that.

Peppers are in a 2.6 gallons pots, under grow lights. All in the same soil mix. And all received the same amount of fertilizer 3 weeks ago just before I left.

Any ideas what could have caused it? I'm pretty scared for my habanero and trinidad scorpion because the leaves are still falling off.

Last edited:
Phytophthora capsici? Check the root system and see if the roots look healthy and white.
If the roots look yellow or brownish it probably is Phytophthora capsici

The roots should look more white almost like fungi, especially in young plants like you have.
I think your plants were watered too much and that might have caused some rootrot.
Had the same with one plant this year, same symptons as you are describing.
First picture from a healthy transplant and second of the rootrot affected plant.
20220414_161131.jpg
20220424_145201.jpg

The roots should look more white almost like fungi, especially in young plants like you have.
I think your plants were watered too much and that might have caused some rootrot.
Had the same with one plant this year, same symptons as you are describing.
First picture from a healthy transplant and second of the rootrot affected plant.
20220414_161131.jpg
20220424_145201.jpg
Okay, so basically, if it's root rot nothing I can do?

Did your plant die?

Is it better to remove the plant? Or wait till they wither away so I will be sure it's root rot?

This is how the plants roots look like in the 2.6 gallon pot. Seem fine to me.
1658617988392.png

Last edited:
No it didn't have those symptoms and it does not look like advancing Phytophthora too.
Then you would have round watery spots on the leaves or sections of the stem becoming watery and rotten.
Sometimes you just have to wait a while and see how it develops. I had lots of issues this spring, but they all disappeared naturally over time.

Back