• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaf curling on new nursery Bhut Jolokia

Bought a single 1 gallon Bhut Jolokia at a local nursery last weekend (first time really hot pepper grower) and planted it in a large pot outside in Los Angeles. I notice now that the top leaves are curling. Trying to figure out what is wrong (ad that is how I stumbled onto this wonderful forum and am getting more and more interested in growing real hot peppers). Am I watering too much or is it too cold outside (not really)? Or is it a bug (can't see anything on/under the leaves)? Thanks.

Posting a pic would help tremendously. There are a lot of different types of "curls", and they can all mean something different.

Until then, I would recommend to go and inspect the plant. Look at the top and see if it is putting out new growth. Is it green? Does it look like the curled leaves, or does it look good? If you have new growth (either curled or not) that is a good sign. Next you can start to diagnose the curl. You may want to consider that it is just the fact that the plant has a new home, and may take a week or so to get used to it. I know when I plant out I give all my plants a few weeks to "settle" before I go and start fixing things. A lot can happen in a week, and if you are still getting new growth, you can afford to be patient. If not, and it isn't dieing, you can still afford some time, but get some pics up.

A lot of the time these things just fix themselves, and again, pics can definitely help. There are a hundred threads that were started in the past 3 weeks on Cal-Mag, and I recommend to just give it some time and listen to the plant. If it is telling you I NEED SOMETHING NOW! Then lets get this thing fixed, but if it is just little things, you are better off to let it settle into its new home and then start to supplement.

If you need help with posting photos, get a photobucket account (free and easy), upload the photo, and then click IMG under the 4 code options beneath your photo thumbnail and it will automatically copy the link. Just paste it and you are good to go!

if you haven't been feeding it nutrients then it probally isin't locked up from to much feeding try to feed it some cal mag.

I will pick up some cal mag. The plant came from the nursery last week and I have not fed it besides planting it in a larger container outside. I have bene reading up posts on this forum since I discovered it earlier today and I see a picture of the leaf curl similar to mne posted in another thread and someone there also suggested feeding the plant cal mag. I will try it as well. Thanks for your suggestion.

I think the CaMg might help. I think there is possible possibly a high rate of defiencies in this area involving nursery bought plants and people using MiracleGro type fertilizers hence all the recent threads.. If you look at the ingredients of these type fertilizers they are 24-8-16, that fert burns me just thinking about it, also they contain no Calcium or Magnesium. Case in point, I bought a Habanero on the half dead clearance rack for very cheap, and it had all the symptoms of CaMg deficiency, I started dosing it with three part nutrients with Calcium and Magnesium and it has made a major comeback, leaf curl is gone new leaves are kicking butt and healthy.

Back