• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Cutter Bees

Just a quick question... I'm sure most of us have had at some point leaf cutters come around. My question is this, did they focus on a single plant or sample everything? My brain strain plant seems to be a leaf cutters buffet, seriously it's the ONLY plant that has at least 1/4 of the total leaves cut up. I know they are still coming and going because I've marked leaves on the interior and notice it's been cut within a day or two of marking... I don't think it'll have any adverse affects on the plant, but I hate the look :).

-J

I see these on my fruit trees. I leave them alone because they are great pollinators. They usually just pick one tree and stick to it. They really don't much damage but the leaves look nasty.

They are very good pollinators and each cycle lasts only a few weeks. There are also other bugs who cut out sections of the leaves and most of those are not beneficial.

Oh it's the bees alright... Been out a few days and I'll shack the brain and I've had as many as four come flying out haha... It's just that ONE plant though... driving me nuts.

-J

Yep each bee will pick and use basically just one plants leaves. For those that do not know the cut out pieces are taken back to a cavity rolled up and crammed in . Then a single egg is layed in it food added and it is sealed up until the larva hatches grows and turns into another leaf cutter bee.

Last year I would sit on the deck and watch a leaf cutter bee bring the cut leaves to the same potted plant. It would roll it up and enter the pot from a bottom hole. It came from the same exact location from the neighbor's yard every time...no deviation. I would sometimes turn the pot around or even switch places with another pot and the bee would eventually figure out where the "nursery" hole was and adjust the pattern of flight. My daughter and I spent many hours total watching this amazing spectacle. Eventually, I had to pot up to the next size and discovered columns of perfectly rolled links of the little ones. I wish I would have taken pictures, because it was a very cool experience.

Back