• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Damage Diagnosis Required

Hi guys - getting some symptoms on some leaves I'm concerned about and was hoping the experts on here can shed some light on what might be my problems:

Background info, these plants are in pots with soils comprising about 40% perlite and 50% bare potting mix (no fertz) and 10% cow manure.  They get a 2/3 strength liquid feed weekly at present using chilli focus.
Watering 2 times a week when 25-35C and every second day when 35-42C.

Picture 1 - An example of what has happened to several leave across several plants / varieties.  There is a small break at the base of the leaf.  Is this the wind or a classic sign of a deficiency or bug attack?
10_zps6d039235.png

Picture 2 - The white "dead" parts of the leaf - not sure what they are.
9_zpsbbce6631.jpg

Picture 3 - Brown spots do not come off when washed, scraped with finger nail, etc. Mites? Bacteria? or something else?  The spots are on a lot of leaves (evern the ones that are not yellowing).  
The yellowing only happens on the lowest, biggest leaves.  The new growth is completely normal.
8_zps33883603.jpg

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated by this rookie!

Cheers.

the bottom one is  just normal aging 
the fist one happened due to an accident of moving the plants around/wind, just a normal injury 
the middle one u could be too much fertilizer 

it is never a good idea to use manure in a container, u r forcing the plant to deal with the conditions u r giving it.
some manure are way too acidic for pepper plants, it is better to use manure free potting mix.
and cut back on the fertilizer 

1st photo-  I have had this problem on many of my leaves.  It is as though something has eaten away the main vein underneath the leaf.  The rest of the leaf starves and dies off.  It is a mechanical injury and I've had it happen consistently in the same place on leaves resulting in damage identical to your first photo.
You should examine under those leaves for chew marks.  Sometimes it goes all the way through and sometimes its too shallow to kill the leaf.  Don't know what is doing it but it has tapered off, so I guess the offending bug has attracted a predator.

2nd photo.  Those white spots look like burn from drops of water and/or fertilizer sitting on the leaf in the sun.  But the bubbliness could be a sign of nutrient deficiency or toxicity.  Not sure what else it could be other than a disease?

3rd photo.  I agree the yellowing of older leaves is normal aging.  But the black dots are a fungus.  The fungus could have infected the leaf that was already dying from age, or it could be causing a problem.  I had a brainstrain that was completely defoliated by fungus that looked the same as that, leaving a skeleton.  Its resprouting now.

Thanks guys.  

megamoo said:
1st photo-  I have had this problem on many of my leaves.  It is as though something has eaten away the main vein underneath the leaf.  The rest of the leaf starves and dies off.  It is a mechanical injury and I've had it happen consistently in the same place on leaves resulting in damage identical to your first photo.
You should examine under those leaves for chew marks.  Sometimes it goes all the way through and sometimes its too shallow to kill the leaf.  Don't know what is doing it but it has tapered off, so I guess the offending bug has attracted a predator.

2nd photo.  Those white spots look like burn from drops of water and/or fertilizer sitting on the leaf in the sun.  But the bubbliness could be a sign of nutrient deficiency or toxicity.  Not sure what else it could be other than a disease?

3rd photo.  I agree the yellowing of older leaves is normal aging.  But the black dots are a fungus.  The fungus could have infected the leaf that was already dying from age, or it could be causing a problem.  I had a brainstrain that was completely defoliated by fungus that looked the same as that, leaving a skeleton.  Its resprouting now.

The plants are going to ground next weekend, so they will get a dose of copper spray then to address the fungus.  

I am not always as careful watering the back pots in the shade house, so its likely that water/fert has been on the leaf after as you say Moo - good call.

Interesting that you have also seen the same thing on the top photo.  Drives me mad as I've not got a lot of leaves on the plants to lose to this predator. 

PepperLover said:
the bottom one is  just normal aging 
the fist one happened due to an accident of moving the plants around/wind, just a normal injury 
the middle one u could be too much fertilizer 

it is never a good idea to use manure in a container, u r forcing the plant to deal with the conditions u r giving it.
some manure are way too acidic for pepper plants, it is better to use manure free potting mix.
and cut back on the fertilizer 

I was not sure about the manure - has suspicions as the leaves went a little bubbly after I added it as a top dress to the pot.  I think I'll dilute the manure down after they go into the ground.

Back