• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaf "Dents"

...and some build a resistance after only a few apps - the chemicals can't get to them.
I didn't want to be the bearer of too much bad news so I wasn't gonna drop that one yet. But looks like you got it sussed anyway! :lol:

While the predator mites do sound good, I'm going to go with a systematic miticide this season anyway and see how I go. The little bastards have done nothing but cause me headache after headache and I just want them gone!

The old saying is frequently true - knowledge is power. I'd rather know all about something and be able to deal with it as effectively as possible - no sense wasting money on insecticides that won't work. That said, one place that sells predator mites (in Michigan) says they're not intended for outdoor use, which is what I'm looking at. On the other hand, OSU (OH State U.) published a study where they used predator mites in apple orchards. The key seems to be availability of a food source (spider mites), which I have plenty of. UKY (U. of Kentucky) posts a list of some vendors that sell predator mites, and one is pretty close to where I live. Not sure if they're retail or wholesale, but they should be able to at least give me more info. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow after I call them.

From what I've read, the predator mites are the only thing that really works. Part of this is because, as you stated, contact is required on mites for the chemicals to work, and the chemicals do not work on the larvae. They say the mites reach maturity and mate within just a couple of days, and new eggs hatch within 2 weeks - hence the application and re-application of chemicals. Also, some mites have a way of building shelters for themselves within the cells of the plant, and some build a resistance after only a few apps - the chemicals can't get to them.

The predator mites reportedly eat both larvae and mature spider mites, and can eat as many as hatch in a single day. The thing I'm scratching my head about is whether the predator mites cause an equal problem - I haven't found anything saying they do or don't. Still and all, it seems it might not matter, since they don't usually tolerate cold weather, and cold is definitely on its way here.

AJ - a good reference for those predators, please? Which company did you obtain them from? Particularly asking because of that thing I read about some companies trying to mix predators, rather than sending you only ones that will be effective for you.

here is the link...I used them on my tomatos that were totally infested with spider mites just to see...I really couldn't tell any difference....but....I think that was because I had a total infestation...

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/predatory-mites.html

here is the link...I used them on my tomatos that were totally infested with spider mites just to see...I really couldn't tell any difference....but....I think that was because I had a total infestation...

http://www.planetnat...tory-mites.html
Thanks for the link, AJ. I see their website does say that if there is a severe infestation, the population should first be reduced by chemical means before the predators are released. An .edu website I looked at also recommended a two-pronged approach for bad infestations - both predator mites and mite destroyers (a specific, small ladybug.) One other question - are/were your tomatoes outside, or in a greenhouse?

outside completely closed in with 50% shade cloth...I have let my tomatos grow and there are green patches that are actually producing flowers now...those green patches may be where the colonys of predator mites have established themselves...I may get more tomatos this season if I am lucky...

Best wishes with that. I called the number for the predator place that was local, but the number is no longer in service, so I'll be doing some more research. (I'd rather get some locally if at all possible.) My pots are outside with no enclosure, but since I only have 3, not a big deal. At the end of the day, I may just let them go and start with new plants next season. Only the neighbors are growing tomatoes, so I would want to do something to help them out, because I'd be suprised if they didn't have spider mites, too. (Haven't gone looking.)

Best wishes with that. I called the number for the predator place that was local, but the number is no longer in service, so I'll be doing some more research. (I'd rather get some locally if at all possible.) My pots are outside with no enclosure, but since I only have 3, not a big deal. At the end of the day, I may just let them go and start with new plants next season. Only the neighbors are growing tomatoes, so I would want to do something to help them out, because I'd be suprised if they didn't have spider mites, too. (Haven't gone looking.)
Let 'em have it! Neighbours are 3/4 the problem. No matter how hard you work to eradicate these little bastards, if the neighbours are infested and do nothing about it, you will never win. I live in a block of units and judging by the rate of how fast the little shits return, I have no doubt in my mind that other lazy assholes in my block are harboring them. It bugs me to no end that I spend so much time, effort and money trying to fight mites and yet I continue to be outdone by lazy idiots who couldn't care less.

OK, I think I'm done with my little rant....

I understand, but will also give your neighbors the BOD - benefit of the doubt. It could be that they are not growing veggies/fruits/herbs, and so don't see the mites as a problem. I didn't think of them as a problem, myself, until I discovered the damage - after all, bugs are part of the great outdoors.

On another note, I did talk with a local county extension office. They're sending me some info via snail mail, but in the meantime suggested a 1:1 mix of rubbing alcohol and water. This particular county is mostly farms, so I'm hopeful that's some good advice. Going to put it to the test starting tonight.

geeme...spider mites are not limited to tomatos and peppers...they love flowers too...

True. But I've also read that certain types tend to go for certain kinds of plants. Also, so far neither my japanese maple, nor my basil, nor my russian sage have shown any signs of the little buggers (and to be honest, I haven't cared about the BESusans, so haven't even looked at those.) Which is kind of interesting - I don't have a huge house, and my peppers are in the back yard, while the rest of my plants are in the front. I've seen plenty of mites on my back porch and on the driveway on the one side of the house, and I've seen them on the front door steps. But never on the plants in front - at a minimum, I would think I would manage to collect some when gathering herbs for cooking, but that hasn't been the case. So I've been assuming they are really only after the peppers (and likely my neighbor's tomatoes.) Of course, we all know what they say about assuming things!

At any rate, I sprayed the plants down really well earlier this evening, and will repeat over the next several days. But I'm thinking that even if the little buggers disappear for a while, that won't necessarily mean the alcohol and water mix worked - while it got rather warm today (a whopping 78F), it's supposed to get down to 58F here tonight (and 50F tomorrow night) - could be that the things are going into dormancy with the cool weather arriving.

So yesterday I soaked the leaves of the pepper plants with the 1:1 water:alcohol solution. Today, cut off every leaf that had the slightest inclination that it wasn't 100% happy - a single tiny spot that showed up when the leaf was held to the light made it a gonner. All the leaves that were cut off have now been bagged (ziploc) and put in the trash. I will repeat the alcohol: water bath in the next few days. In the process, I did uncover a "real" spider - a little white guy - and also some webbing. Not sure if the webbing was from him or the mites, but it's gone now, too. Needless to say, the plants are pretty naked looking now.

Part of me asks myself "why bother?" The mites could well be hanging out somewhere close by, laughing at my weak attempts to salvage things. On the other hand, the plants are amazingly full of buds right now, so I'm going to do what I can to help them hang on. We'll see how things go!

good luck with it man....

A garden place recommended today using Bayer 3 in 1 Disease, Insect & Mite product. Anyone tried that and found it helpful?

Back