• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaf issues

I'm not usually one to worry about afflictions affecting my plants; in my experience most go away on their own over time. However, being new to pepper growing and especially cautious, I've become concerned with some spots that have begun to form on a few of my plants. I suspect they might be fungal or bacterial in origin, considering it's been wet (read: raining) and cold for about two weeks straight, and that's when they first started popping up. Granted, they might not all be the same thing, as different plants are manifesting in different ways.

The first are my Aji Limons, which are developing dark specks all over the underside of their leaves, and what's more the leaves affected are becoming permanently curled:

IMGP0385.jpg

The brown flecks of material aren't pests (in fact, I haven't seen any visible pests so far), just debris splashed onto the plant- more curious about the small spots near my finger:

IMGP0389.jpg

The Datils are suffering from something similar, but they're in a much worse state, and some of the new growth is showing it too:

IMGP0392.jpg

Some of my Habs are showing similar issues:

IMGP0391.jpg

Any idea what these could be, and how I might go about dealing with it?

The brown stuff in the first picture is just potting soil splashing up on the underside of the leaf. Brush it off when dry. The spots on your habs are a completely different monster. Could be bacterial leaf spot. Cut back on the watering on those guys. Both the habs and Aji look like they could use some epsom salt and Ca.

The brown stuff in the first picture is just potting soil splashing up on the underside of the leaf. Brush it off when dry. The spots on your habs are a completely different monster. Could be bacterial leaf spot. Cut back on the watering on those guys. Both the habs and Aji look like they could use some epsom salt and Ca.

I think I have epsom salt, not sure about calcium sources... anything in particular work well?

I'd cut back on the watering if I could, but nature isn't cooperating. At least we're supposed to have a few days of sun...

Bonemeal and CalMag is a quick fix or use can use crushed eggshells in compost. They look like they are in containers, so just move them out of the weather for a little bit. Most leaf spot diseases like that are spread by rain splash.

Easy enough. I'm a bit wary of using more bonemeal at this point, as I've already had to battle raccoons digging up my tomato plants... guess I could try it on the Aji Crystals, as I still have extras of them.

Just ordered some... probably good to have around anyway, just in case.

I've been fertilizing with fish emulsion for a while, and so far they haven't bothered the peppers... but sooner or later they will discover them.

i get the leaf spot on plants all the time, if the leaves get really bad i pinch them off. i believe excess moisture is the name cause, i use baking soda and water on mine, it can help, plus i give the plants a taste of aspirin water to boost their immune system.

good luck.

Baking soda makes sense. I'll try it tomorrow, as I've already covered my peppers for tonight. Hoping this is the last potential frost I'll have to worry about for a while...

Calmag works great for me, I have zero leaf curl on ~150 plants, and I had quite a bit of it early on this year before I started using it. Last year damn near every plant I had had leaf curl, some pretty severe, and bone meal didn't seem to help much if any. Maybe because it takes a while to break down or something was blocking uptake...

It looks like something else is affecting my Aji plants. I'm concerned it might be something I'm doing, but since it only appears on these few plants, I'm doubtful... anyway, it starts off as depressions on the underside of the leaf, which eventually show through both sides and turn brown after sun exposure. Any ideas?

IMGP0396.jpg

IMGP0398.jpg

IMGP0400.jpg

beleive that spotting is some fungus related stuff
i would use the "hawaii al" often recipeed
neem and ivory soap
i spray with a quart bottle and use one and one half teaspoon 70% neem oil
with like amount (or more) of ivory
i think you may try wetting them with that every three days and see if it helps stop that crud
{kind of surprised "al" posted in here and did not recommend neem}

Is that something I would spray in the morning or evening? Or does it matter?

Not sure about Neem as I've never used it but Ivory soap should be applied when cooler in shade and not when
plants are thirsty, it works great for fungus and pests!

thanks for weighing in oz

it is pretty likely there will be leaf drop

hopeful the spray will help to stop the fungal stuff

it will not hurt for a change in weather

some nasties will only go away after the weather changes

keep fighting and do not give up :)

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought Neem oil was a pesticide. If those spots are fungal, try mixture of baking soda and water sprayed on the leaves in the morning. I use baking soda to control powdery mildew, so it could help.

+1 on baking soda, also apple cider vinegar might help, found the below info;

Apple Cider Vinegar Fungicide
For leafspot, mildew, and scab

Mix 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar (5% acidity) with one gallon water and spray in the morning on infested plants. Good for black spot on roses and aspen trees too.

Baking Soda Spray
For anthracnose, early tomato blight, leaf blight and spots, powdery mildew, and as a general fungicide
Sodium bicarbonate commonly known as baking soda has been found to posses fungicidal properties. It is recommended for plants that already have powdery mildew to hose down all the infected leaves prior to treatment. This helps to dislodge as many of the spores as possible to help you get better results. Use as a prevention or as treatment at first signs of any of the diseases.

To make: Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda, 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil with one gallon of water. Shake this up very thoroughly. To this mix add 1/2 teaspoon of pure Castile soap and spray. Be sure to agitate your sprayer while you work to keep the ingredients from separating. Cover upper and lower leaf surfaces and spray some on the soil. Repeat every 5-7 days as needed.

Hope you save those babies!

well i would not limit it to just "pests"

3 garden products in 1; insecticide, fungicide and miticide

and it tastes 'good' too

it still may take the weather to kick that crud's butt :eek:

Back