• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf issues

So, problems are starting to pop up, the growing season has officially begun...

I know I've seen this before on the forums, and it literally just popped up in the past couple days. I've started finding sections of my Datil leaves cut out in roughly circular patterns, though sometimes it is just a meandering pattern around the leaf rather than an entire section removed. Example of the damage:

IMGP3279.jpg

What is doing this?

Also, my White Hab leaves are looking less than happy. I can't decide if its fert burn or sunburn in some combination, or something else entirely. It just rained quite a bit so if it was ferts that should have corrected the issue.

IMGP3284.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that I've started using my fish ferts again, and the bottle is a year old... does it go bad, or rather, do the nutrients eventually start breaking down inside the bottle?

Looking at the last pic, I would say certainly over fertilizing. One of my 7 pot jonahs, I gave liquid plant food instead of plain water and it's the only one looking identical to yours in that last pic. Yellowing around a few of the leaves and some browning in the center area itself. No more ferts for a month or so...

Looking at the last pic, I would say certainly over fertilizing. One of my 7 pot jonahs, I gave liquid plant food instead of plain water and it's the only one looking identical to yours in that last pic. Yellowing around a few of the leaves and some browning in the center area itself. No more ferts for a month or so...

I'm definitely bad about keeping track of my fertilizing schedule, so I probably slipped up more than once. I usually try to keep it at half strength to be safe, but I'm pretty sure I went full strength this last time so that might've done it...

Me too! My bottles are labeled "water" and "food" but I need to get in the habit of marking on the calendar the weeks I feed and the weeks I just water. Eyeballing and going by the weight of the pots isn't cutting it for me...Now that you mention it, I fertilized full strength on that particular plant...

1st pic could be pest related. So check your plant/s thoroughly top of leaves and underneath the leaves with a magnifying glass. 2nd pic my guess nute problem. Slight fert burn. What if your feeding schedule like?

1st pic could be pest related. So check your plant/s thoroughly top of leaves and underneath the leaves with a magnifying glass.
+1 - I've never seen a chew from the edge into the center like that.
At first I thought slug/snail, but that slit is just too weird. Try googling
the image to see if something turns up.

Could be some weird combination of mechanical damage and slugs, though I don't know why the leaves would be damaged to begin with. I'll look for new signs of damage in the morning. It certainly looks like something ate its way in from the edge. Didn't see anything like this last year.

If a leaf is severely damaged due to fert burn, should it be removed or will it recover?

Eh, it'll never recover, but the plant will drop the leaf when it's no longer doing its job. It's a judgment call, removing damaged leaves may promote new stem formation, as it opens up some space for light to get in around the adjacent nodes. Generally you're better off leaving the leaf in place.

If a leaf is severely damaged due to fert burn, should it be removed or will it recover?
I had a plant with severe fert burn on the leaves, bad judgment call on my part. It was under fed and I over corrected it by over feeding. (Lesson learned! ) I clipped off all the bad leaves and left the few good ones. Sync is correct they will drop on their own. But I think clipping them speeds up the process of growth slightly

Uh, no I didn't even think about that. Wow, I'm stupid. Many of the plants were inside during the last storm, or at least have smaller leaves compared to the Datil's.

Alright, crisis averted.

Back