• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Spot?

Bacterial Spot of Pepper and Tomato

Bacterial-spot-pepper2.jpg

bacterial_leaf_spot_pepper2_l.jpg

The center of the lesion often dies and collapses. As a rule the spots do not merge. On older leaves of plants in the field, the lesions are usually dark green, water-soaked, not noticeably raised, and up to 1/8 or 1/4 inch in diameter. Later, these spots develop dead, pale yellow centers with dark brown borders (Figure1). When numerous, the lesions remain dark brown with a paler brown center on the lower leaf surface. Spotted leaves may turn yellow and fall at any time during the season. When spots are numerous, entire leaves drop off while still green. Seedlings infected in the plant bed may lose all but their top leaves.

First thing I thought of, the description is similar but every image I find leads me elsewhere.

Symptoms started (were noticed) 2 days ago, the morning after spraying with soap/mineral oil. I've sprayed all stages of plants with this before, and had no ill effect. It started out with small appearances of the brown stain/spot, doesn't respond to rubbing/wiping, and by that night developed chlorotic spots. Upper foliage is most effected. Last night I sprayed H202 to help (hopefully) stem the spread and will continue this until I can determine a cause/solution.

img_0017-1.jpg

img_0012.jpg

img_0008-1.jpg

img_0001_00.jpg

Getting no results from Google/THP searches. Am I special, as in, "Wow, never seen that before" or the pat on the head special, where I've clearly missed the boat, and this is quite simple?

the very first 2 pics look like BLS. Yours don't, to me at least. I feel like thats from mineral oil. Why are you spraying mineral oil on them? Is it food grade like you'd use on wooden cutting boards?

If there was strong direct sunlight after you sprayed the mineral oil, that could definitely be caused by your spraying them. The mineral oil would intensify the effects of the sun - that's part of why you're not supposed to water in the middle of the day, too. If, however, they've been shaded (or it's been very overcast) since then, I'd lean more towards BLS. 

PrimeTime said:
the very first 2 pics look like BLS. Yours don't, to me at least. I feel like thats from mineral oil. Why are you spraying mineral oil on them? Is it food grade like you'd use on wooden cutting boards?

Mineral oil is a fairly common pest control measure. It wasen't food grade, but since this incident, it looks like that's what I should be aiming for, atleast tentatively.

geeme said:
If there was strong direct sunlight after you sprayed the mineral oil, that could definitely be caused by your spraying them. The mineral oil would intensify the effects of the sun - that's part of why you're not supposed to water in the middle of the day, too. If, however, they've been shaded (or it's been very overcast) since then, I'd lean more towards BLS. 

I always spray at night/lights out. We've had flip flopping weather, from heavy over cast to full sun.

I thought about it initially as a cause, but I have used this spray successfully many times, and the indoor plants were fine (under CFL), from clones on up. I've burned plants before with oil, though with thyme and under HPS lighting. Definitely did not look like this, though thinking on it now, I don't think they burn in the same way. Then it clicked in that this was the first time I've used it during full-bore summer heat and sun..... :doh:

Reading more on mineral oil, it probably wasen't wise to just grab any ol' product. There are a variety of grades, that differ greatly in a number of qualities. The USR (unsulfonated residue) value, a sort of measure for aromatic compounds, determines whether the oil will be phytotoxic or not. Oil with a value above 90 are generally consider safe. I'll go out on a limb and say I've got a value very close to or below 90...

Turns out it was pat on the head special XD

Back