• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves falling Off?

For some reason the Leaves of the Plants on my Pots are all falling off, and the steams are getting all bald, also the tips of the branches are burnt like if something burned them, kinna weird, but all the rest of the plants on the floor are fine and more prolific

Photo-0292.jpg

I just finished dealing with the burned stem tips. Still not sure what caused it.... Are the leaves that are falling healthy or are they yellow/brown around the edges? Mine were yellowing and browning, but weren't falling off unless they were mostly yellow

Some are some what Yellow and some have a little brown, but there are some that are healthy green and dark green a small tap and they fall off

I'm assuming my issue was a chemical drift from the balcony above mine.... It only seriously affected my white Habs....

I think it has to do with the end of the season or the heat.

I know peppers are perennials, but all plants have different reactions to seasons changing.

My plants are doing the same thing.

All of my Indian plants (Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich) are doing this with the weather change. However my Trinidadian plants are handling it in stride.

What size pots are those? When plants get too big for the pot they are in,you have to constantly water. This leeches all food out of the soil. Looks very wet. That could play into it also. When you say "floor", do you mean plants that are in the ground? They will typically look better than potted plants because minerals don't wash out as fast in the ground.

I've seen this sight many times unfortunately...
Root rot or fungus.
Root rot is normally proceeded by constantly limp leaves. Edit: on more mature plants they do go brown on the ends too, and maybe a bit yellow. On younger plants they just go very very limp but tend to not go brown or yellow before dropping off.
Fungus is mainly normal leaves, (maybe just brown underneath), that just drop off. Most of my plants end up with one or the other.

Hell, even many of my new seedlings are doing this now :cry: I recycled some potting mix that must have been infected and I'm getting fatalities every day even though the plants are 2-3 months old now.
Makes a change from the fruit flies, thrips, mites, white flies and aphids I guess.
The white flies or whatever they are is new.
I had some plants in the ground doing badly and didn't know why. By accident there was a thriving flat leaf parsley growing underneath one. One day all it's leaves were curled up, the weirdest twisted parsley plant I saw (and it was growing fine for months, a very quick transformation happened). Some flying bug inside I guess white flies. Wow, a new pest, hooray.

Meh, such is life. For every 1 plant you want, sow 8 seeds, raise 4 seedlings... Forget caring about them as individuals, too many pests, diseases, fungus and genetically poor seedlings possible.
Seeds are cheaper than time, soil, pesticides/anti bacteria/fungus treatments to fix problems. If you are growing thousands then there's a ROI, so worth mass treatments. Growing a few plants for personal use, easier to cop the loss and learn/move on/have a backup plant etc

looks just like the creepy brown crud i have been fighting for a few years

have been trying to use copper sulfate, sulfur and pyrethrins etcetera with limited success

the Cu S i use is a "bourdeaux" and the Bonide spray type of stuff

http://www.bonide.co...ategory_id=6885

i have been using the 3 in 1 garden stuff for the pyrethrins

i think it is a viral bacterial combo being vectored in by those blasted aphids

hope you can get this to go away {it is likely pretty hard to stop}

My thoughts are that it will not be easy to determine right now, but we have some clues. First, you're in Southern California, and you haven't really reached anything below 80F during the day yet, so your plants haven't really experienced Fall- like conditions yet. Therefore, it's unlikely the leaf drop is occurring due to the season change at this point. However, look around - what are the regular trees and bushes doing in your area - are their leaves dropping? (Not referring to pines or palms.) I do see that some of your night time temps have gotten fairly low, so that may be signalling season change to the trees. If so, it's probably doing the same to your pepper plants. Still, your "fairly low" is relative - compared to here it's still fairly warm (we're in the 40's at night now.) But if the trees are still full of green, it's likely that neither they nor your peppers care about the weather yet.

Once you've decided if weather is a factor or not, then you can look at other possible causes. If you aren't letting your pots get fairly dry between waterings, simply over-watering can be causing that. Do what you can to reduce the amount of water they get - if the issue is rain, try to move them to an area that shields them from rain - YOU need to be in control of how much water they get. If you are overwatering, though, be sure to let them dry out a bit more between waterings - the leaves should slightly droop before you water again, and keep in mind different varieties uptake water at different rates.

If you've eliminated the weather and over-watering, then yes, the culprit is likely some microb - fungus, bacteria, or virus. Though, of course, the problem could be a combo - overwatering often creates a nice environment for nasties to grow, for example, or it could be a combo of season change and something else. Definitely listen to the stuff others have written above regarding nasties if you've eliminated weather and overwatering, but IMO you should eliminate those first before treating with chemicals.

Wow so much info, I will wait on them to dry out, maybe get new soil on the 1 gallon pots, the plants aint more tan 12inches tall so the size doesnt seem so bad, I do have 1 pepper on it that is doing alright but doesnt seem like its going to put out any peppers any time soon, thanks all of you for all the info, I really do hope I get to the bottom of this.

Guru posted it in his glog, when I commented on seasons for perennials, that the angle of the sun can trigger seasonal changes in plants. The sun is definitely moved to the southern side of my house.......who knows.

Id say its a combo of end of season & still watering as if it was summer, your plants are not growing any more & need hardly any water, even though its still warm enough (similar to here in winter) the plants know by the suns angle & sunshine hours.

My plants did the same at seasons end, i just pruned them all back & overwintered them & now they growing again three months later, it may pay you to upturn the plant in to your hand & look at the roots, im guessing you will find it sodden wet at the base.

Mezo.

Blak-E...... That plant may be 12" but it is an old plant. You can see it in the branches. If it was a young 12" plant in a 1 gallon pot that would be different. Repot it for sure! The picture below is a plant that I grew in a 3 gallon pot. Eventually I had to water it constantly because it's root system was getting too big for the pot. I never did repot because it was getting late in the season. All the nutrients leeched out from constant watering and it started dropping leaves like crazy. You could blow on them and they would fall off.

Look familiar?
100212193034.jpg

I agree the changing of the season and sun plays some part. I am getting spots and a few brown leaves from the late season and damp climate,but it's not making every leaf drop. Plant below has some funky leaves but is cock strong still. It is getting into hi 30's for lows some nights here.
100212192806.jpg

Yea I checked the roots and its getting root bound, also it was very wet, should I put compost on top of the soil and when it needs water, just water ontop of the compost?

Back