• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves hard, wrinkled and not growing

Hi Guys, I have some different species of plants that some of the leaves are hard, wrinkled and not growing. They have new growth that is ok but still some leaves and parts of plants are like image.
All information greatly appreciated
thanks as always
20161022_121257_1.jpg

Too high temps, deficiencies, low or high nutrients.  I think I've had it before, try watering a little more and hold the nutrients if using any.

I don't see any typical spider mite damage, pretty sure you can rule spider mites out.

There is a newer mite almost undetectable even with a 10X magnifier called Russet or Citris mite, but damage generally starts at the bottom of plant and works it's way up. I don't think this is the issue either.

Watching thread closely for others to comment.

Without a doubt (in my mind) that's broad mite damage. I know it well.

I would cut off all affected growth and burn it / put it in a bucket of boiling water.

Spray whats left of the plant with a very strong mix of lime sulphur. Keep affected plant away from other plants that dont yet have it

good luck..broad mites REALLY suck

nzchili said:
Without a doubt (in my mind) that's broad mite damage. I know it well.

I would cut off all affected growth and burn it / put it in a bucket of boiling water.

Spray whats left of the plant with a very strong mix of lime sulphur. Keep affected plant away from other plants that dont yet have it

good luck..broad mites REALLY suck
Yes. Not visible to the naked eye. No webs on my plants. Same damage. Set my season back MONTHS. They eat new growth and unless they get really bad they generally leave more mature leaves alone.

Azamax. Spray every single inch of both sides of every leaf, especially undersides, until it's dripping off. Repeat per instructions on the box every 3-5 days. Two applications took care of it.

austin87 said:
Yes. Not visible to the naked eye. No webs on my plants. Same damage. Set my season back MONTHS. They eat new growth and unless they get really bad they generally leave more mature leaves alone.

Azamax. Spray every single inch of both sides of every leaf, especially undersides, until it's dripping off. Repeat per instructions on the box every 3-5 days. Two applications took care of it.

yea same. they screwed up the whole of my last season. Was not till the very end of the season that i finally found something that actually worked and by then it was way too late for a good season.

+1 , Correct, the broad mites go for new growth and cannot be seen with the naked eye. The underneaths of  the leaves, (as well as going scrunched up like in the picture) can turn to a brownish/rusty colour. older leaves that are not scrunched up will probably also have some rust colouring underneath them

OP needs to start his chemical warfare NOW :)

Great....now I have to learn about another damn mite species...it was bad enough dealing with spider and citris mites.....thanks to those who identified the problems as broad mites.

Hi All, Thanks for comments.
Re Mites, did not think that it was mites as only few plants of different species are affected to varying degrees, many of which are in very close proximity to the ones with the same problem.
I originally thought that it was over fertilising so cut back on it.
Some of the affected plants seem to have newer growth that is fine, also some of the affected leaves have come good.
How can you definitively tell if it is mites? 
Once again thanks for all help

Softlad said:
Hi All, Thanks for comments.
Re Mites, did not think that it was mites as only few plants of different species are affected to varying degrees, many of which are in very close proximity to the ones with the same problem.
I originally thought that it was over fertilising so cut back on it.
Some of the affected plants seem to have newer growth that is fine, also some of the affected leaves have come good.
How can you definitively tell if it is mites? 
Once again thanks for all help

You can use your finger to flick the leaves over a white piece of paper and look for little, teeny, tiny dark spots on the page. Or get a jeweler's loupe 30-60x and you can see them using that.

If your plants are small and in containers I understand that you can also dunk the entire plant in warm water (85-90 degrees) and keep it fully submerged for 15 minutes, but I haven't tried that yet.

I thought my plants were short on calcium, so I dosed them with CalMag and a light fertilizer - honestly I think it made it worse, since it encouraged new growth that the mites destroyed. Based on my experience I would stop feeding them until the mites are gone and normal growth resumes.

I picked up this little mini hand held microscope for bug identification off Ebay...I think it was $6...you can find them cheaper.

It also has two tiny led lights on it which is a big help trying to focus on the tiny creatures. Not the best in quality but it's easy to use and cheap.

Hi Just looked at one of the plants with the curled leaves (Maruga Caramel) and now has silver grey patches developing on some leaves. (see images) also one of the chillies has grey soft spot on it. (Have had the grey / silver leaf thing before on Bhut which now seems to have leaves curling inwards. Has plenty of fruit on it but as I said leaves starting top curl inwards)
Any suggestions?
Thanks as always
20161102_175626.jpg

20161102_175248.jpg

20161102_175236.jpg
20161102_175231.jpg

Yep that's sunscald on the last 2 pics. I had some that I started indoors this past season. They were green and healthy. I put them out for a hot day and burned the bejesus out of them. It doesn't really hurt the plant, but does hurt my grows pride.

Neil

Back