• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves shrinking,look bad

Uh oh... looks like another case of 2, 4-D herbicide. I had damage identical to this, and thought it was bugs for the longest time, but no pesticide helped, but Dash2 point out his damage was identical to mine, and his neighbor had sprayed it, and it drifted over. The herbicied doesn't need much to aerosolize and go with wherever the wind takes it, and 0.1 PPM can cause damage like this, so all it takes is a neighbor or someone in the area to use it.

Best practice is to prune the leaves and let new growth come back. It sucks, but I did so on my plants, and new (properly shaped) leaves came out, and flowers are also coming back to my plants after a month of excellent pod development, only for all the ones almost ready in May just dropped off within a couple days of each other, far too fast to be explained by bugs or nutrient deficiency, and with no change in my fert schedule.

In my case, the likely culprit was the neighborhood landscapers which were hired by the Homeowner's Association, and I very seriously doubt either will listen to me any time soon.

Noone around here is spraying that I know of. I'm on 5 acres and nearest neighbor is across road, about 300 yds from garden area. The plant is in the middle of about 20 others of the same,they look fine.
Any other thoughts????

Try using bacterial treatements for it. It looks like a barrackpore I had earlier, so that might be it. Mancozeb and copper solution at the same time might help, and avoid splashing others.

Back