• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves turning White/Light Brown?

Hi,
My plants were started indoors, next to a sunny window in my room that gets a ton of sunlight. Last week I started hardening them off, increasing the time they get outside by 30 minutes each day.

Lately I stated to notice a few of my peppers had something weird going on with their leaves. They appear to be turning white or light brownish or something... here are two screenshots:

Spicy Mustard Habanero - the leaf on the right there is turning white.

Afki1Yo.jpg

Ghost Pepper - the leaf at the top is turning a weird color and curling in.

FPaVJMo.jpg

Could this be sunscald? They've been getting pretty full sun since they sprouted, but it was through a window up until now.

Could it have something to do with temperature? The past week has been around 15-20 Celsius (59-68 Fahrenheit), but today was only about 12-13 Celsius (53-54 F).

Could it be something else?

Thank you in advance!

i had the same issue...i chalked it up to too much sun with high u.v. . Some of the leaves turned white. Plant still seems to be doing ok though. I wouldnt worry too much.
">http://">
">http://
twPpRPB.jpg
0mSirQG.jpg

Spicy Mushroom said:
You increased in 30 minute increments but what did you start at? 30 mins? 1 hour? 2 hours?

I started at 1 hour, and increased by 30 mins each day. I'm up to about 4 hours now.

Its kind of variable when I put them out though... if I work from home, and on weekends, I do it mid-afternoon when the sun is more intense. But generally during the week (like today), its more during the evening times.

I figured I'm probably just over thinking it and I'll just continue to let it do its thing. I was just wondering if maybe trimming the affected leaves off, or giving it fertilizer would help at all (haven't fertilized yet, just hoping the vegetable potting soil had the nutrients for now).

Well it's not too warm over there yet and that soil looks mighty damp. Had you just watered? What soil did you use? I'd probably just water less possibly and call it a day for now..

Spicy Mushroom said:
Well it's not too warm over there yet and that soil looks mighty damp. Had you just watered? What soil did you use? I'd probably just water less possibly and call it a day for now..

Ya, they were just watered after 2-3 days.

I used Pro-Mix Vegetable Soil.

I think the consensus is probably that I worry too much, being my first real growing season (last year I only bought decently sized seedlings). So I'll just sit tight and hope for the best!

Back