• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves with rust color underneath?

I guess I spoke too soon when I posted my latest grow log pics the other day and thought they were healthy. I have some plants that are exhibiting some weird coloring on the underside of the leaves. Look here:

263wt5l.jpg

34hyvwl.jpg

Not to mention, the leaf curl on my choco habs has not improved, and they are also affected somewhat. I am getting slightly discouraged. I put too much money and effort into these peppers to have them just get sick and die. I check for aphids twice a day, slug hunt once a week, check the soil for bugs, water when appropriate, use good quality pro-mix bx with balanced organic fertilizers.

WTF

djsketchie said:
I guess I spoke too soon when I posted my latest grow log pics the other day and thought they were healthy. I have some plants that are exhibiting some weird coloring on the underside of the leaves. Look here:

263wt5l.jpg

34hyvwl.jpg

Not to mention, the leaf curl on my choco habs has not improved, and they are also affected somewhat. I am getting slightly discouraged. I put too much money and effort into these peppers to have them just get sick and die. I check for aphids twice a day, slug hunt once a week, check the soil for bugs, water when appropriate, use good quality pro-mix bx with balanced organic fertilizers.

WTF

Hmmm I think I had leaves that looked like that when I had spider mites...

Haven't sprayed anything on them except for a mild soap to take some aphids out...it was Seventh Generation Lemongrass w/ Clementine Zest dish soap to be exact. I saw the little red bugs you can barely see (I assume these were spider mites) once, but I took them all out in a day, and haven't seen them for weeks. I am just hoping that this is some sort of weird nutritional deficiency instead of fungus or insect spread disease.

I have that same rust look underneath my leaves when they get a funky curling issue which I have posted in my grow log.
It looks just like yours on the underneath but leaves are in much worse shape. Still not totally sure what it is.

I had the same issue, after freaking out thinking it was some kind of disease or mites it turns out it was from the soap and neem mixture I used, eventually the leaves got healthier some did start to yellow and fall off but the all the new growth was fine and the plants are very healthy now.

I guess I should just chill out and let it take its course...actually, there is not much else I can do unless it's an easily identifiable nutritional deficiency. I am tempted to prune off all of my affected leaf growth, and hopefully it will sprout healthy vegetation back out.

WickedMojo said:
I had the same issue, after freaking out thinking it was some kind of disease or mites it turns out it was from the soap and neem mixture I used, eventually the leaves got healthier some did start to yellow and fall off but the all the new growth was fine and the plants are very healthy now.

Yep soap

Back