• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

LED Project

So ive been tinkering around with LED's, taken a while since it can take a month for parts, dirt cheap when Ordering from China.

My IR 850nm leds working fine, thast for security system. 5-6v forward
The 3Wx4 works great (grow light spectrum). 3V forward
Problem is the 1W leds, no mater what i do they flash, tried three different drivers, tried from 3-15 in a string but no luck. 3V forward
If anyone has ideas??
Thanks!

IR 850nm
MTHeWLt.jpg

YVKbJi1.jpg

3W grow light spectrum
NJQ6Eha.jpg

5E8wj9u.jpg

1W leds being a pain.
lpKd2ZN.jpg

ItmtWQT.jpg

current is constant, add voltage. 

the 1w leds will use less current than the 3w. usually a 350mA driver instead of 700 (looks like you are using 900mA).

then you make sure you are within the voltage range by adding the leds. so for the 1w are 3.2V

so if you wanted to power a string of 10x 1W you would need a
a 350mA driver with atleast 32V like this:
s-l1600.jpg

the minimum output is 15 volts so you can do 5-11 1W leds
the current stays the same, always 350mA

So I did a 4x3 this morning, still flashing, the first three rows lit (flashed) the fourth row did not light up.
Max current would be 1.14 for three.

which driver are you using, what are the specs?
flashing happened to me when i wasn't using enough led to hit the driver minimum.

you can test each led by putting 2 AA batteries together. 
FNOGL5TI6DYTUDZ.LARGE.jpg

Yup, tested each one, driving me nuts. trying 3 to 15 units should have narrowed down the range, and trying three different drivers with the same effect proves its the led properties.

So with my 1W leds I found the only way to run them without problem is with a DC-DC converter driver, no flashing, If I use the AC-DC driver to power the DC-DC then they flash again.

So these 12 Watts are giving off 300lux at 12", full spectrum.

three rows parallel, 12v power supply. It is very cheap to build from scratch.

gMOXy7L.jpg

Common reasons for flickering or flashing LEDs are dimmers, non-compatible transformers or drivers and failed internal electrical components. If there are a number of lights which are all flickering in the same manner then it is highly likely that the LEDs are not compatible with the installed dimmer.

Straight from google. Hope it helps bro.

Thats the rub, you dont know till you try, it says it runs 1w LEDs but they dont, have two types and all do the same. Guess have to make my own acdc converter to run the dc-dc drivers. Tried to run the dc-dc with the acdc driver but then the leds flash again.

Back