• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

LED Strip test log

santis00 said:

How long does it take to have them delivered? I saw some for $3.38 a strip, but didn't want to wait a month to get them. Some on Amazon for $7.95 with prime delivery. Guess I could get one to start off, if they work order more.
yeah 3 weeks or more esp since i ordered during December holiday rush lol. But they have good review / messaging system so don't have to be afraid about losing items / no items. just the wait zzzzz

you can get them on amazon or ebay from in usa for 8-11$.

The quality on strips that were 10$ are better than the 4$ china ones. But... 4$ lol

Yeah I think I am going to order one for $8 and then order a few $3 as I have some other projects as well. Ordered some shrinking tube as well and ill just solder it myself.

i was gonna say these will work fine but i see im a bit late to the party

kudos

the only negative about these sctrips is the efficiency(87L per watt did you say?)

once agian we see plants dont care about what light you use, they just like like

so based on the watts you have in the space how many lumens do you have in there?

actually i would llike to do some maths please tell me:

each shelf size
watts per shelf
K temp of strip
lumen per watt
cost of strip

thanks

welp the strips are working. i'm using 1m per 1020 tray. or 4m for a 4x2 shelf (4 trays).
PXNWJSN.jpg

Growth seems a bit slower than under my t5's or 3w led bars, and leaves are not as fat. i don't think i have enough energy yet. Or it could be because the strips run cooler so medium isn't getting that few degree bump from the lights.

Also i found that the 2835 leds in theory should be superior to the 5630. They have a built in heatsink and run more efficiently. But they are a smaller chip that produces less light. To get around this they make strips which have double the leds. 120 leds / m vs the normal 60 leds / m although they are harder to come by and cost double what the 5630 cost(still cheap)...

So i ordered some 2835 strips and I'm going to restart testing soon with 5m (white) vs 5m (red + white) to see if that changes 

Anyways stay tuned if you want more updates on strip testing.
Currently i would not advise buying them over a t8 setup(if it ain't broke don't fix it) the only thing thats better about them is they should last 4x longer and cost half what the t8 setup does.
Also i will say soldering the thin flexible strips is annoying, it makes sense to have longer shelves so you don't have to solder as much.

updated to use an actual lux meter so readings are accurate.
also added 5050 per request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyPb-8tw0Bg

So you say this is just for starting plants, but how long are we talking here? You've got 60(?) day old plants there that have really good growth on them. Bigger than the plants I currently have in my sunroom that I also supplement with about 5 hours of LED strips once the sun goes down. Those plants (mine) are probably at least 3 months old.

If I can use this to grow plants for 3-5months of veg then set them outside in spring to have a super jump start on the season that would be awesome

Teaks said:
So you say this is just for starting plants, but how long are we talking here? You've got 60(?) day old plants there that have really good growth on them. Bigger than the plants I currently have in my sunroom that I also supplement with about 5 hours of LED strips once the sun goes down. Those plants (mine) are probably at least 3 months old.

If I can use this to grow plants for 3-5months of veg then set them outside in spring to have a super jump start on the season that would be awesome

You will get decent growth in the first 12-18 inches or so from the light but after that it is not so good.

So for small plants (great for lettuces / microgreens) or starting veggies (pepper, tomato, cukes, etc) they are great. 

when i say pepper starts i mean exactly like what you are saying. starting indoors in january / febuary and planting out in april / may. 

uQGtWQrD.png

OISUgHWL.jpeg

cXZhRWWx.jpeg

juanitos said:

2 ish months

Nice! Appears to be perhaps a little bigger than the 2 I have currently. Been struggling with temperature as I'm in the midst of winter currently and until my new windows come in I am battling inefficient insulation in my sunroom.

Keep up the good work!

I know squat about LEDS, but these look excellent for between plants and side lights.  A lot of growers put heep tons of light on the top and wind up growing coconut trees.  Great for sea of green cannabis grows, not so great for peppers.  We need light down low so that we have a a nice bushy plant to bring outdoors in the spring.

Back