• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leeching?

anywyas i just leeeche dall my plants i feel as if i had some toxic salt build up on a few of my plants it really loosened the soil and hope this helps them out. I htink being soo close to the water i shold with soo much salt around in the air and all. then will fertilize tommorow. I think i will do this every month or soo if works out good.

If you bottom water most of the time then flushing your plants(top watering) every now and then with straight water should help remove accumulated fertilizer salts

isn't magnesium one of the first things to leech out of the soil? I have read that somewhere....

point being, if Mg is one of the first, you need to replace it in the form of Epsom salts...

can I get an amen on that?

Yeah its nice and sunny today and i'm about to check on the plants see how they are doing then i will fertilize appropriately. My 7pod plant is the only one that is not doing well from the 29 degrees F temp drop the other night i hope its not going to die!

it'll pull through and maybe even make it tougher...now is the time to pour some food to it....let it know that spring is here....that is if you are sure winter is over

If I were where you are, I would give them a shot of good 10-10-10 peletized standard fertilize (vigaro makes a good one), about a tablespoon of epsom salt per plant, water in and let them eat and begin a new cycle of production.....that is JMO....and now is the time to prevent other baddies from getting to your plants...use a little slug bait to prevent ants and other unwanteds from coming into contact with the plant...a little prevention goes a long way...

I don't know if I would use bleach. I can't imagine that it is good for the plants. Could be wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time. (Just don't tell my wife. I try to convince her otherwise daily.:lol:) I have heard of using Hydrogen Peroxide though. Haven't used it myself though. Never had a problem with disease on peppers, tomatoes....different story. I alternate between copper fungicide and daconil on them. Even with that, my plants lost nearly all leaves to blight by Mid July last year due to the cool, wet spring we had here. Let's let others chime in though.

Hope your plants survived the cold spell.
jacob

like jj said, 1 Tbsp peroxide in a gallon of water will help kill fungus but the problem with that is, it also kills the beneficial bacteria too...I only use it if I know there is a problem...biggest problem I have is when hot weather hits and I water a lot...root rot is a bitch...

I wouldn't put anything in the soil unless the plants show signs of needing it. The more stuff you put in the soil the greater the chance of doing something harmful to the plant. Soil has different types of bacteria and fungus in it naturally and they usually keep each other in check. If you use something to kill off something it will usually kill off everything else with it. If you want to add something to the soil then try compost/manure tea. This will feed the good bacteria, as well as the plant, and help keep your soil healthy.

That being said, I'd suggest trying to find some rabbit manure and give them all a good dose of it. Then all you will need to do is water them.

I would use it as a last resort myself. Which is why I haven't used it yet. Although I get blight on tomatoes, it is managable with foliar treatments. The bad stuff tends to grow faster than the good bacteria and fungus so I worry about wiping out all the microbes in the soil.

jacob

hydrogen peroxide and epson salt work very good for pepper plants of all ages. been using for years. check google fo each one there are some great info. on both don't have the address oon this computer

Back