• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Leftover brine from fermenting

I've been making cooked/canned hot sauces for years but just finished my first fermented one. 
I have about 2 quarts of leftover very spicy/salty brine left over, a yellowish colour.

Anyone use this for anything else? When visiting family in South America they have a clear spicy liquid they put on meat. My wife thinks it's just hot peppers and vinegar, not fermented, but I'm thinking this stuff would be good for that too.

This has probably been asked lots of times so apologies if so, I did search for leftover brine but didn't come up with anything.

Attachments

• 91d34e82-9d21-4b1a-a53c-8b75e14de83c.jpg
    91d34e82-9d21-4b1a-a53c-8b75e14de83c.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20201013_171253.jpg
    IMG_20201013_171253.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 149
I always save back a bit of my brine to help jumpstart the next round of ferments.  I've also used the brine to make quick pickles - basically just sliced up some cukes and let them sit in the brine for a few days with good results. 

Real Thanksgiving was last month (Canada) :)
Maybe Christmas, that might get me booted from Turkey duty though.
I personally hate pickles. The rest of my family loves them, but not this spicy.

I try and keep all my brine. It's a milder acid so I use it in cooking wherever they ask for the addition of vinegar etc. 

I also saw a video where a guy made a huge batch of sauce and then siphoned the brine and bottled it as a clear hot sauce. He says it tastes the same as the sauce with the mash in. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaIPXtRppYQ

I also keep the brine and use it as a condiment. Works perfectly as a stand in for malt vinegar or southern style pepper vinegar; french fries, fried chicken, fish and chips... I guess anything deep fried, lol. 

I sampled the brine from one of my super ferments. The stuff was brutal. Maybe cut 50/50 with malt vinegar. I didnt save any but i got another super ferment getting close to done. The mash i blended up with some of the brine is the hottest thing i ever tasted. I would imagine i could make a pretty hot 5oz bottle of sauce just using a TBS of the mash.

Back