• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"Leggy" plants question

I just started growing seeds from grocery store peppers and have been using sunlight only. I noticed people who have grow-lights tend to have fuller plants whereas mine tend to look like a xmas tree (tall and gangly w/ spread-out nodes) Is the light source what causes the plants to not be leggy/not leggy or is it the pepper variety?

If the light source is too far away. or not enough light , they will stretch. I wouldnt worry too much tho, once they are outside in the spring they will rebound nicely. You can put some flouros above them within a few inches and they will stop stretching.
Kevin

If they are too leggy you can replant them up to their armpits. I pull off the cotyledons and bury those nodes too.
Everyone is right about the light. Too weak or too far away makes a leggy plant.

edit: If you have a fan to blow air on them now and then the stems grow stronger to cope with it. (Obviously the fan shouldn't be so strong it knocks them down) Stronger plants do better when put outside with wind etc.

If they are too leggy you can replant them up to their armpits. I pull off the cotyledons and bury those nodes too.
Everyone is right about the light. Too weak or too far away makes a leggy plant.

edit: If you have a fan to blow air on them now and then the stems grow stronger to cope with it. (Obviously the fan shouldn't be so strong it knocks them down) Stronger plants do better when put outside with wind etc.
+1 on that megamoo. I'll probably end up replanting it up to its armpits because the first branching occurs 34 cm up the stalk :eek:

what kind of peppers are you growing?

what kind of peppers are you growing?
plants from fresh Thai red pepper and dried Thai grown red pepper (I posted pics on 2 separate threads).
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19576-my-thai-red-pepper-plant/page__p__412877__fromsearch__1#entry412877
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19580-some-plants-that-really-took-off/page__p__412934__fromsearch__1#entry412934
Both sold as consumables in grocery markets. No specific strains as of yet. Probably won't do that until later in the year due to financial constraints.

plants from fresh Thai red pepper and dried Thai grown red pepper (I posted pics on 2 separate threads).
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19576-my-thai-red-pepper-plant/page__p__412877__fromsearch__1#entry412877
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19580-some-plants-that-really-took-off/page__p__412934__fromsearch__1#entry412934
Both sold as consumables in grocery markets. No specific strains as of yet. Probably won't do that until later in the year due to financial constraints.

those are annuums and usually will get a bit leggy even with good light IMO...using a fan as has been suggested will strengthen the stems and planting them deep as also was suggested will help a lot...

I don't know if you are using superthrive or some other growth stimulating hormone/fertilize/treatment, but in my experience, using these increases your nodal lengths...

those are annuums and usually will get a bit leggy even with good light IMO...using a fan as has been suggested will strengthen the stems and planting them deep as also was suggested will help a lot...

I don't know if you are using superthrive or some other growth stimulating hormone/fertilize/treatment, but in my experience, using these increases your nodal lengths...
I'm going to Home depot tomorrow to look for some plastic planters to replant/distribute some young plants. As of now I'm just using water & 5 yr old potting soil that has been out on the balcony. I'm going to get a small bag of potting soil tomorrow too. Thanks for the info because this is my first attempt at growing peppers or any fruit-bearing plant for that matter.

welcome to the addiction...

"My name is AJ and I have a problem..."

If your plants cannot get enough light, then cut back on the moisture, heat and nuits. Lack of strong light alone will not cause disproportional stem growth.

Mike

Maybe it has to do with the different temperature and light ratios. A plant grown inside during winter probably will have low temperatures, as it is grown in a shed or basement, but they will have tons of light and do tons of photosynthesis. But the lower temperature makes chemical reactions not go that fast.

When you grow in a hotter climate your plants may have to be put in the shade while the temperature is really high already. So in that case you have the opposite scenario.

Maybe it has to do with the different temperature and light ratios. A plant grown inside during winter probably will have low temperatures, as it is grown in a shed or basement, but they will have tons of light and do tons of photosynthesis. But the lower temperature makes chemical reactions not go that fast.

When you grow in a hotter climate your plants may have to be put in the shade while the temperature is really high already. So in that case you have the opposite scenario.
Very interesting analysis. The way things are for me now is, if the suns out I generally have a good day, if its overcast, I'm not much of a happy camper.

Back