• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lespaulde 2019 Season

Alright everybody, here we go; another year, another round of trying a range of different peppers and methods to grow them. After having a lot of fun last year, I'm of course trying to keep everything low key, but am already struggling to keep my growlist to a bare minimum so I will be able to handle the plants while also having enough time with my soon-to-be one year old son and significant other of course. There's just so much choice and reading about all the different types in various glogs etc means that we all need a lifetime of growing to find our favourites. :)

The biggest step forward this year is to really start from scratch (i.e. seed), as otherwise good luck finding those exotic varieties you cannot get at your typical garden store; while the selection of seedlings in Denmark is really not bad, it still excludes you from a huge selection. So my list, for now, is:

Aji Pineapple
Aji Mango
Sugar Rush Peach
Biker Bill's Jalapeno
KS Lemon Starrburst
Foodorama Scotch Bonnet
Aji Lemon
BOC Sweetbite (own cross from last year, F1, with a bit of luck getting through F2 as well)
Sri Lanka Chili Red (Growdown)
Early Jalapeño
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Bulgarian Carrot

And the overwinters:
Numex Orange Spice (love the heat on these jalapenos!)
Bhut Jolokia Purple

A big thanks goes out to William Beckham from the PLC on Google+, as he was kind enough to send me the Aji Mango, Sugar Rush Peach and Lemon Starrburst seeds - what a great guy!

Most of the plants will go back into the 8L (2 gal) autopots, albeit in 100% coco this time, but I also obtained some 60L (16 gal) fabric pots that I'm curious about trying. Lastly, since I will be growing some plants in the office at work, I will also try a couple of Kratky grows as the method intrigues me.

Nutes will be Plagron Hydro A&B this year, as 5L each was only 35EUR/40USD, while only needing 1.65ml/litre, making it very cheap indeed. For the 60L fabric pots, I will probably stick with the Hesi Coco from last year as the medium will be a 30/30/30 mix of Coco/soil/leca pebbles.

Originally I was aiming for Feb 1st, but since all the equipment came in already yesterday (grow tent etc, pics to follow), I couldn't wait anymore... ;) Thus this happened today:

27a1f3a864d34e4a31a7ca2997bef9ec.jpg

ea32e4840d0162528bc5426d07aee698.jpg

Now the waiting game begins, thanks for reading! :)

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

It's also been a while since the last update, things have been super busy at work. The weather is been pretty mediocre in July, but this past week finally has been warm and sunny, causing many fruits to ripen suddenly and giving me my first actual harvest. I'll first show the pods on the plants though, and then the final moneyshots of the goodies at home... :) Gonna take it post by post, not to end up with a return-to-index...

Overall, the greenhouse is looking quite green and getting fuller by the week:
I8RihMq.jpg

Biker Bill's:

WOvcGKB.jpg

DNLQKSb.jpg

My somewhat troubled B.O.C.; I think I've been overwatering this despite it being in a fabric bag, as the leafs have really been yellowing and falling off. I stopped watering it about 3 weeks ago and it's bouncing back with new growth looking healthy, and at least it continues putting out pods. I think I also went a little too cheap on the media I bought for these 60L fabric bags, as it's not as airy as one would have liked. Good lesson to have learned not to repeat next year!
E4UJpHB.jpg

Sugar rush peach:
mDoKcbV.jpg

Aji Mango on the left is following the tomatoes in terms of sheer size. Definitely over 1m/3ft high now, and putting out pods at a mad pace... :)
wFYMY9y.jpg

I also tried to get my hands dirty with making some crosses, and thought the Aji Pineapple to be good candidate to merge with some other phenos. Purple BJ was the first one to be tested:

3n87vTK.jpg

I tried 3 different blossoms, and luckily they all set (now 2 weeks ago). The Biker Bill wasn't as lucky, as I've tried 5 different blossoms, with Aji Pineapple pollen simply not wanting to set fruit. I'm quite confused though, as I thought Baccatum would allow me to cross with both Chinense and Annuum without trouble...

Speaking of Purple BJ btw, this plant is loving its home in the greenhouse (you can see 2 of the crosses with the yellow zipties):
p8Zov8b.jpg

Lastly, it was actually a real pleasure needing something like a shopping basket to collect all the fruits with. Definitely a step up from last year and I hope to have a few more pulls like this before the season ends.

4fRFACC.jpg

Laid out on the table, going clockwise: B.O.C. (zipties are crosses with either Aji Pineapple or Biker Bill), Biker Bill, Sugar Rush Peach, Aji Pineapple and the first few maters.

FhwBJxl.jpg

Happy days all around, and I'm contemplating once I retire the KLSB, to put 2 new plants in its place. The Chocolate BJ that died on me a few months ago, and the Bahamian Goat that I bought seeds for at the beginning of season; I would really like to try a pod before dedicating a spot to it in one of the autopots next year. I'm really hoping it's as tasty as everybody claims it is, but only one way to find out I suppose! :)

Thanks for stopping by, and hoping everybody is enjoying some good weather these days!

lespaulde said:
I tried 3 different blossoms, and luckily they all set (now 2 weeks ago). The Biker Bill wasn't as lucky, as I've tried 5 different blossoms, with Aji Pineapple pollen simply not wanting to set fruit. I'm quite confused though, as I thought Baccatum would allow me to cross with both Chinense and Annuum without trouble...

In case you're interested, this topic came up the other day and I posted a recent study on interspecific crossing and viability percentages in differing directions.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71987-pollination-bags-and-question-about-sex/?p=1643867
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71987-pollination-bags-and-question-about-sex/?p=1643867

lespaulde said:
Lastly, it was actually a real pleasure needing something like a shopping basket to collect all the fruits with.

4fRFACC.jpg

"Something like a shopping basket" LP?  That looks an awful lot like a shopping basket  ;)

Great pics and great to see you hauling in the pods like this.  Those red biker bills look awesome!  Curious to hear what you think of them.  And the Aji's and BOC too.  I'm still hoping to pull in some BOC's myself this year.  It went from being my least thriving plant indoors to probably my most thriving chinense outdoors. Still waiting for some ripe pods though...

CaneDog said:

In case you're interested, this topic came up the other day and I posted a recent study on interspecific crossing and viability percentages in differing directions.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71987-pollination-bags-and-question-about-sex/?p=1643867
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71987-pollination-bags-and-question-about-sex/?p=1643867
Very useful info, thanks! Will spend some time properly reading those resources.

CaneDog said:

"Something like a shopping basket" LP?  That looks an awful lot like a shopping basket  ;)

Great pics and great to see you hauling in the pods like this.  Those red biker bills look awesome!  Curious to hear what you think of them.  And the Aji's and BOC too.  I'm still hoping to pull in some BOC's myself this year.  It went from being my least thriving plant indoors to probably my most thriving chinense outdoors. Still waiting for some ripe pods though...
Lol, yes it was actually; my wife handed it to me saying she thinks I might need it. Seems like she gets it that the hobby is not going to downsize any time soon... ;)

I'm so happy to hear your BOC is enjoying the outdoors - I think it does really seem to like being out as I also had very limited success inside (tons of flower drop), but once it gets to mid July/August, it usually starts setting fruit when outside. Mine is just a little upset over the lack of oxygen at the root mass, but I'm still hopeful for one more proper round of flowering and fruiting that might still ripen before October. From my notes from last year, they do take 6-8 weeks from setting to being ripe, so hang in there buddy, it'll be worth the wait! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

So, managed to convince myself it really was time to cull the Lemon Starrburst in the tent, as I need space for a small late season grow and I'm still not the biggest fan of its flavor. Luckily taste is very personal so I'm by no means saying it's a bad tasting pepper, but it's just not quite my kind of flavor with the chinense flavor dominating over the fruitiness. I'm going to see if I can turn the pods into some (smoked) pepper flakes down the road, as this may be the best way to use them.

The final plant was definitely a nice looking one if i may say so myself:

l7JOwQK.jpg

LewVzDY.jpg

Nice and thick stem at bottom:

zThpG4i.jpg

And a root system to match:
AYhoFq9.jpg

Final bowl of pods, anyone want to take a guess how many this last haul gave me? ;)

D2KfYme.jpg

Yep, that was definitely a solid plant, but make room for something you'll like better!  Still thinking of doing both the Chocolate Bhut and B Goat?

Oh, and I'm guessing 55 pods for the last haul.  I'm usually quite bad at "guess the number," but I won't let that stop me.  :)

CaneDog said:
Yep, that was definitely a solid plant, but make room for something you'll like better!  Still thinking of doing both the Chocolate Bhut and B Goat?

Oh, and I'm guessing 55 pods for the last haul.  I'm usually quite bad at "guess the number," but I won't let that stop me.  :)

Definitely more than 55... I'd say 56+

Hahaha, you were both pretty good with your guesses; it was 83 pods to be precise! :dance: Now I gotta go buy a dehydrator and turn them into flakes / powder... But yes, the root mass was mad, the thing was drinking a gallon of nutes every 4 days.

And yes, well remembered CD, I am starting the chocolate bhut and Bahamian goat tomorrow, and will also try all my remaining seeds form the BOC Sweetbite Cross I tried to make - let's see if one of them will set. I heard from Khang's YouTube channel that it can be one out of many that will actually set when crossing Annuum and Chinense... Fingers crossed

lespaulde said:
Hahaha, you were both pretty good with your guesses; it was 83 pods to be precise! :dance: Now I gotta go buy a dehydrator and turn them into flakes / powder... But yes, the root mass was mad, the thing was drinking a gallon of nutes every 4 days.

And yes, well remembered CD, I am starting the chocolate bhut and Bahamian goat tomorrow, and will also try all my remaining seeds form the BOC Sweetbite Cross I tried to make - let's see if one of them will set. I heard from Khang's YouTube channel that it can be one out of many that will actually set when crossing Annuum and Chinense... Fingers crossed

Hey, I only underestimated by a full third!   :rolleyes:

Good luck with the remaining BOC Sweetbite seeds LP!  Would love to see that come through.

Finally some time for another update. Things have been chugging along slowly but surely, and we did end up having a few decent weeks of weather, but overall it's been a pretty abysmal summer for pepper growing, and I'm taking all the pods I am getting as a bonus. Luckily I am definitely able to stock up my freezer for the year, and having recently bought a cheap dehydrator, I even get to explore the fun of pepper flakes and perhaps even some powders. Finally, given that the summer was less than optimal, I'm even more happy to have been able to establish the greenhouse this year, as it definitely saved my season by giving the plants some much needed heat. :)

Anyways, time to get to the pictures, which have been collected over the last few weeks since my previous update.

The greenhouse is definitely looking nice and full, with the tomato plants having taken over the entire back wall. They've been very productive too, putting out ~50 ripe tomatoes every week and supplying us with all that we can eat. Nothing quite like a sweet cherry tomato straight off the plant! :)

B2dRLHF.jpg

The Foodarama SB - not sure what the experts say, but I don't quite think it looks like an SB at all. Perhaps it was crossed with something, but the seeds came from chili-shop24.com which I thought to be a reliable vendor. It can happen though of course, that things accidentally get mixed up. They are definitely damn spicy, but for my taste the "Chinense" skunk takes over too much.

1r7qMP3.jpg

The KS Lemon Starrburst plant put out quite a few pods, and some are even showing some tail:

QY4Gyqk.jpg

AfE8L6a.jpg

The youngest plant of them all, the Numex Orange Spice jalapeño - it actually took over the overwintered plant in terms of size and production, but given the extensive spider mite infestation, it's not a fair comparison. Still, not sure it's worth overwintering C. Annuums, but I will be sure to try again by overwintering this new one and repotting it next year. I'm happy I'm at least getting some of the pods, as they really are the spiciest jala I've ever eaten.
Ljkj9ek.jpg

The Aji Mango finally started podding up seriously about a month ago, with the first ones showing signs of ripening. There must be ~60 pods or so on the plant, which now easily reaches 5 feet tall. I'm very curious to see how the taste compares to those from my office DWC.
xmF317E.jpg

The Purple BJ in all its glory, with a variety of colors showing. I love this plant and the pods with a tie-wrap connected to them are the crosses with Aji Mango and Aji Pineapple, so let's see if they work out in the end. I love how you have purple, green, orange (and even a hint of yellow) and red pods on this pepper, all at the same time, and they seem to change on a daily basis...

a7NyUZv.jpg

1tsKYlN.jpg

Harvest of Sugar Rush Peach, KS Lemon Starrburst, Aji Pineapple and a tiny Biker Bill Jalapeño and a Foodorama SB. These cherry sized jalapeños have really been a thing this year, which I attribute to the relatively cold and sun-less summer we've had. They're still sweet, but perhaps not as hot as I'd have liked...

I4l7ESB.jpg

Harvest of Biker Bill's jalapeños, Aji Pineapples, Lemon Starrbursts, Foodorama SB, a Sugar Rush Peach and some Sri Lankan Reds. You can see more of those weird cherry looking jalas...

KGfPgW3.jpg

And another harvest of Biker Bill / Early jalapeños and SLRs.

jiBU0jh.jpg

Back