• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Lighting AGAIN ! !

AJ has one heck of a setup, all sizes of plants and just on tubes. so if he's doing it (and the plants look great), then it should work for you.
From what I've seen his bulbs are not high wattage, but he uses Mylar as a cover.

Oh ok, thats cool then, im not going as large as him lol, but something very similar, im not sure what Mylar is, but i think my panda plastic shouold do the job, its black on the outside, and really refective white on the inside, so will create a really bright room / area.

Omri said:
I guess you haven't read my "Light & Plants" articles, eh?
Actually, no. I noticed it was mentioned but I didn't see a link. I would love to read it.

I'm not out to disprove the volume of evidence that says 6500K lights are great for vegetative growth, they apparently are. But what I am saying is that the 2700K are equally or perhaps more efficient. This is based on my own findings, not Google searches. I have had plants under the 6500K lights for weeks only to see them languish. But if I stick them under a 20 watt, 2700K light (four plants in a nine-ounce cup at a time), they add inches of stems and leaves in just a few days.

Should I ignore my findings and accept the widely-held views that one needs to use 6500K lights?

Mike

wordwiz said:
Actually, no. I noticed it was mentioned but I didn't see a link. I would love to read it.

I'm not out to disprove the volume of evidence that says 6500K lights are great for vegetative growth, they apparently are. But what I am saying is that the 2700K are equally or perhaps more efficient. This is based on my own findings, not Google searches. I have had plants under the 6500K lights for weeks only to see them languish. But if I stick them under a 20 watt, 2700K light (four plants in a nine-ounce cup at a time), they add inches of stems and leaves in just a few days.

Should I ignore my findings and accept the widely-held views that one needs to use 6500K lights?

Mike
Actually not all 6500K lamps contain the same wavelengths and often they use useless ones. meaning the plant can't even use them. the idea is how certain wavelengths affect, not bulbs. that's why you should read the details on your lamp before buying, but in general 6500K bulbs contain at least some of the needed wavelengths with a decent efficiency.

If you're interested, the link is in my signature.
What I write and say comes mainly from a professor experimenting the same things at the Technion (Israel Institute of Technology). while I did a little experimenting on my own, I never had the knowledge to examine such effects.

slyone1000 said:
Same Peppers on the 2nd shelf & the 4th shelf.......all the Chinese on the 4th shelf are a lot bigger & healthier looking

Is the 4th shelf the highest shelf? because it would likely be the warmest too, and that might play a factor. I'm just curious because my top shelf often seems to grow best.

Back