• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting lighting and watering.....

building a "grow station" 2'x 4' each level...... planning to use a mix of 65k daytime and 50k sunshine bulbs..... how many 2bulb fixtures should i put on each level? are the sunshine bulbs ok?

also ....planted 2 of 4 72 cell seedling trays.....want to bottom water and have heard of the evils of overwatering.....approximately how much water (in cups) does it take to sufficiently water each cell ( all pepper seeds) any help (answers or links to helpful info ) would be appreciated

How much to water depends in part on what kind of seed starting medium you're using, and how warm the trays are kept. I use Jiffy Seed Starting Mix, which is mostly peat,and I put about a half inch or so of water in the bottom, then wait a half hour or so and see and see how much it's going to soak up. If it's all gone, I add a bit more. If it's not being soaked up, I'll either drain it off or leave it there. If the seed trays are on a heat source like a seed starting mat, I don't worry about a little bit of water in the bottom of the tray, it'll evaporate fairly quickly.

mrwicks said:
using pro-mix bx ....seems comparable in makeup to jiffy mix ....looks mostly peat to me

ProMix is what I use and I really like it. I didn't start bottom feeding until after I transplanted, but I can say that your plants will "tell" you when they have had enough because the intake will slow way down. That is when I stop watering, when the plants slow down taking the water.

mrwicks said:
using pro-mix bx ....seems comparable in makeup to jiffy mix ....looks mostly peat to me

Well there's more to it than just peat. You get:

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (75-85 % / vol.)
Perlite — horticultural grade
Vermiculite
Wetting Agent
Dolomitic & Calcitic Limestone (pH adjuster)
Macronutrients and Micronutrients
And possible Mycorhize(sp.)(white bag)

I do not reccommend peat on its own but in a proper mix it is an excellent base, although it is non-renewable.

The Bx is great but I recommend Pro-mix PGX for seedlings especially in small cells or plugs.

Back