• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Lights and Day Cycle

Most of the super hots are from tropical roots where I think they get abotu 12 hours a day sunlight year round.  I am wondering if 12 hours is required for flowering and fruiting.  In an indoor / under light grow many plants vegetate at 16 hours of sunlight and then start to flower when the timers are switched to 12 hours.  What about peppers?

The reason I ask is that every web search I make trying to answer this question gives me results about growing something else.  It is getting very annoying.

NO, I have super hots flowering with only 8 hours of indoor light. And they put out their buds after they went into the new lighting conditions. Light duration does not induce or influence peppers to flower.

Capcom, if the daylength does not effect flowering why are you at 8 hours rather than 16?  I would think you would get twice the production at 16 hours than at 8.  Is there a draw back to going too much daylight?

ajdrew said:
Capcom, if the daylength does not effect flowering why are you at 8 hours rather than 16?  I would think you would get twice the production at 16 hours than at 8.  Is there a draw back to going too much daylight?
My goal is not to reap high levels of production during the winter, but to maintain a certain level of positive growth and to pick back up in the summer. And I really didn't  want to overwinter. And it saves on unnecessary electrical costs.

Got it.  On over wintering, it is a lot of work but having that root bundle really does give a person an edge in the spring.  Frankly, I am unsure why pepper plants are not sold that way.  Others are.  Hmmmm

Interesting, especially for super-hots this far North. I'm over-rooting a few plants I plan to give away, hopefully to give the receivers a leap on the short season.

Your beard makes my beard feel like a no-beard.... :D

Beard is a bit shorter.  I am a blacksmith, was making holiday gifts, set beard on fire.  On selling dormid pepper plants, not sure why it doesnt occur to folk.  Roses, strawberry, and lots of other plants are sold that way when they are difficult to start from seed.  Many people dont seem to be able to start pepper, tomato, or other delicates.  I think they ignore heat recomendations and do not provide enough light or air flow.  Makes for plants with low expectations.

ajdrew said:
Beard is a bit shorter.  I am a blacksmith, was making holiday gifts, set beard on fire.  On selling dormid pepper plants, not sure why it doesnt occur to folk.  Roses, strawberry, and lots of other plants are sold that way when they are difficult to start from seed.  Many people dont seem to be able to start pepper, tomato, or other delicates.  I think they ignore heat recomendations and do not provide enough light or air flow.  Makes for plants with low expectations.
I think its because most people buy with their eyes.Its a lot easier to sell a nice looking pepper plants with green leaves and buds than a stick in a pot.  :)

Swampy_nz, you made me think about the dozen rose bushes I purchased for my wife last Valentines day.  Yep, they looked like ugly sticks with a root ball.  Turns out that is what 11 out of 12 were.  Only one grew.  Grew great, big and beauiful.  But I learned my lesson.  Do not buy the last of the rose bushes when they are on sale for a dollar.

Sometimes I do not know why the woman keeps me around.

Back