• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Lights and set ups...

Well I'm back again on starting more topics.....

Anywho, I was thinking about ordering some lights and a hydro set up, well it doesn't matter what kind of set up, just a soil-less (includes the moss haha.) kind of set for planting and what not, way I make it sound is like I'm growing other stuff, but I'm not :D. If I can get your guys' and gals' input on this subject that'd be nice! :D

Oh and on my grow logs nothing significant is happening, only thing is some of my pine seeds have already germinated, my Black Pearl is growing like a champ, and umm I think that's it.

Again, if you guys could help me out on this, that'd be nice, oh and the Emily's Garden thread that showed that hyro unit I ordered it haha, now the only bad thing is I had no space on my lights for the darn thing.... Didn't really think it all through haha.

I am not familiar with how much you know about lighting....basically red spectrum light is for flowering/fruiting and blue spectrum light is for vegetative growth...

this subject has been discussed many, many times...search for "lighting" in this forum and you will get numerous hits that will undoubtedly produce a lot of the information you are looking for...

I've learned a lot in the last couple of years and have posted a TON of info on lighting. Just do a search and you will find a ton of info. I found the website MAXIMUM YIELDto be very helpful as they have an article archive going back several years and have just about every subject you need information on covered.

If you have an extra $27 or so to spare, the best place to put it is to buy the book "Lighting Up Profits." It's dedicated toward Greenhouse Growers but the same principles apply to any indoor grow. It explains how the difference in not the intensity but the intensity of light plants use (PAR) affects growth.

There not much said about MH vs. HPS vs. CFL. There's a lot posted about MH is for Vegging, HPS for flowering, but IMO and IME, it is overstated, at least for tomatoes (and presuming peppers, since the plants are similar). I get more blooms in the same time from from MH than I do from HPS.

Mike

Depending on the amount of plants you want to grow you get chioces of 250W-1kW of lighting power (there is MH bulbs of up to 3kW power but thats insane, and the cost is too around 300$ or so for a bulb). Metal Halide is probably what you are after however Experiment over att chillisgalore.co.uk thinks that MH gives a to bushy growth thsu hindering airflow. So a spectrum compensated HPS might be you best bet or a low kelvin MH.

Hemp growers will give you an indication of how much light to put in one space.

Back