• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Lignification.. Reverse Lignification?

Have any of you observed or read about reverse lignification in Capsicum? Or elsewhere? Grown in containers or otherwise?
I've noticed lignification and indoor survivability are intricately related in my environment, and I feel like I need to gain a more comprehensive understanding of this amazing process.

Have any of you observed or read about reverse lignification in Capsicum? Or elsewhere? Grown in containers or otherwise?
I've noticed lignification and indoor survivability are intricately related in my environment, and I feel like I need to gain a more comprehensive understanding of this amazing process.

I have never come across a process like that (I've translated a handful of lignin-related manuscripts). There is considerable interest in lignin decomposition by bacteria and fungi (biomass processing), but "reverse lignification" in plants (and by plants?) would be something new, I guess.

I found the following (Y Wang e.a. Front. Plant Sci., 09 July 2013. Plant cell wall lignification and monolignol metabolism (DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2013.00220)): In summary, lignification is a dynamic, flexible process reinforcing cell walls according to the different needs (water conduction, mechanical support, defense) of the plant during its life. Nevertheless, once produced, lignins (and the associated carbon) remain anchored in the cell wall since plants do not possess the enzymatic machinery necessary to recycle this polymer in contrast to other cell wall polysaccharides such as (1,3;1,4)-beta-D-glucans for instance (Fincher, 2009). The irreversibility of this situation also underlines the necessity for tight regulation of the lignification process.

Back