Liters of pots

TrueNorthReptiles said:

That is him! Just You-Tube it! I have 4 ginormous pots and I am going to take my 3 naga morich plants (virtually identical to a Dorset naga) and one other that shows potential and see what I can produce using oversized pots.

I got a 30gal half wood barrel in the garden. I'm tempted to fill it with better soil and see what I can get going good in that. Toss up between my orange thai for the growdown or something purdy like criolla sella or one the fidalgas. Just worried about the damn rabbits getting it. There was a bunch of rabbit crap in that barrel this spring so I know they can jump up there. 

D3monic said:

I got a 30gal half wood barrel in the garden. I'm tempted to fill it with better soil and see what I can get going good in that. Toss up between my orange thai for the growdown or something purdy like criolla sella or one the fidalgas. Just worried about the damn rabbits getting it. There was a bunch of rabbit crap in that barrel this spring so I know they can jump up there. 

Bwaaahaaahaaaahaaa!! rabbits shitting in a barrel you want to grow in.  :rofl:  Sounds like they are starting shit with you. :rofl:  I'd even say they are daring you, by gifting you some of the finest free fertilizer directly in the barrel.

hogleg said:

Bwaaahaaahaaaahaaa!! rabbits shitting in a barrel you want to grow in.  :rofl:  Sounds like they are starting shit with you. :rofl:  I'd even say they are daring you, by gifting you some of the finest free fertilizer directly in the barrel.

These bastages are a loosing battle. I keep patching my fences with 4x4s and they keep digging their way in. One just dug under my gate the other day. Had to line it with cinderblocks to keep it from digging it out again. I got like 10 patches in my wood fence because they chew through the planks to get into my yard. About ready to start doing some wiley coyote shit to trap them. 

moruga welder said:

thats what i've been told also .      :onfire:

I bet taller containers perform better in warmer climates where the shape may help conserve water by limiting evaporation. But I've always found the lower layers of soil in my 5 gallon buckets to be surprisingly underutilized. The containers I have with a wider diameter at the top seem to be better suited for the rootball shape of a pepper plant.

Good info here strangely enough this is on the same page as what I was talking with Neil Smith last night about concerning baccatums if I wanted to overwinter one by planting in a pot.
My phone just sorta brought this topic up by accident.
Sometimes these smart phones are creepy lol

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I bet taller containers perform better in warmer climates where the shape may help conserve water by limiting evaporation. But I've always found the lower layers of soil in my 5 gallon buckets to be surprisingly underutilized. The containers I have with a wider diameter at the top seem to be better suited for the rootball shape of a pepper plant.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

yep  i agree !       :onfire:

TrueNorthReptiles said:

IIRC, they used Miracle-Gro. Not sure if they purchased it from certain areas of NV, NM, Japan or Ukraine...

Radio-Gro, FTW!

edit: I've heard that Geonerd is having good luck with that stuff this season.

D3monic said:

They were just fertilizing it. It was a sign from the garden gods.

Runescape said:

I know, pics or it didn't happen, right? :)

I took a few while I was making a shade top for it. The plant was only about 6 feet tall (from soil level) and wide at the time and the pic was taken early enough in the season that I had two cycles of production after the pic was taken.

I hope this will do.

IMG_20140819_175952_702_zpspfyknkri.jpg

I did lose that plant to stress when I tried planting it in the ground. I wanted to keep it since it was such a prolific plant.  But I pruned it too far back and a few other factors, she is no longer with us. Her skeleton is still in the ground sticking out as a constant reminder for me :(

It ended up being much taller than the shade cloth frame in the end. I had to bend and tie off branches.

That pic was taken mid-late spring.

Here is a pic of it when it was "small" very early on in the season. (keep in mind I germinate in November for the next year so my plants get a head start)

1_zps60ae7d10.jpg

And a pic from when it was a wee baby  (bottom):
IMG_8053_zps51bf7a3f.jpg

In comparison, I had another TMS that I potted into a hollowed out trunk which had about a 3-4 gallon capacity. It still grew big as the TMS's do, but it was at least 2 feet shorter and much less bushy.

Here is a pic of a jalapeno in the complete opposite situation, small/shallow pot. I am training it to fit in the window, notice the copper wire :) (I just re-potted it yesterday)

IMG_20150330_071019_624_zps0gfuxfft.jpg

IMG_20150330_071007_335_zpssddqtdsk.jpg

Back