• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Live in Texas. When to germinate?

Alright, so this is going to make me sound like a complete newbie (which is completely, 100% accurate).

I live in Texas (Dallas) and plan to grow my first round of super hots. In order to get the best yeilds/longest harvest, when should I germinate? I had read to start peppers in February, but I wondered if the fact that many Chinense varieties are sluggish to get started changed this. The other variable I wanted to take into account is the BRUTAL heat in Texas summers. I feel that last year my plants may have been stunted by the heat (or maybe just my lack of experience).

So, yeah, basically taking those variables into account, when should I germinate?

Thanks. Any advice given is greatly appreciated!

I would start them in early feb. (in indoors) and throw them out around mid march.. so you can get a crop around june.what aug. is way to hot, we start to getting into the high 90s and 100s.

As sicman suggests, for chinenses and other long-season peppers, start them as early as you can if you have the room and the lights indoors. Mine will be started tomorrow. You *might* get a flush off some chinenses by May. Annums and other shorter season species can start a little later, but not a ton if you want a good first flush, because...you're right, the heat will cease fruit production and sometimes even stunt plant growth.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!!

I'm starting my first batch tomorrow...

i started stuff 2 months ago,i also started 2 weks ago,and yesterday. ill start second wek in january,first week in march. aso if i want ill start whenever. have fun plantingand reap what you sow, :rofl: :banghead: :drunk: :hell:

do not be confined to "accepted" timings
be an adventurer
everyone will get variable results even all started at exact same moment
the plants only 'know' how to do one thing and do not own a calendar or clock

try something "radical" and be a 'pioneer'

:fireball:

I guess you are back..........good trip?

yup...good trip and fantastic traveling weather....this was the warmest Christmas I have ever spent in Chicago...highs in the 40s and lows in the high 20s....not bad for the windy city...

will be prepping to start seeds in about 2 hours...gotta wake up first...

do not be confined to "accepted" timings
be an adventurer
everyone will get variable results even all started at exact same moment
the plants only 'know' how to do one thing and do not own a calendar or clock

try something "radical" and be a 'pioneer'

:fireball:

lol. As long as being a "pioneer" involves beating the ungrowable conditions of Texas summer, then I'm all for him being "radical". Otherwise, he might be disappointed. :)

Awesome. I will start them this sunday since i'm off work. How much do lights cost and how many plants can share each lighting fixture?

Thankyou for the replies! I'm glad i asked yall otherwise i would be starting late.

and so, it begins

you can start off pretty affordable

two really basic things for indoor seedling lights are:

a timer

some fluorescent light

if i was going for a small start up
would get 48" T12 or T8
walmart for shop light ± $10 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-4-Shoplight-Stainless-Steel/19232395?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems
homus deepus for timer ±$8 http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100647099&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-nosearch2-1-_-NA-_-100647099-_-N&locStoreNum=6684
and GE tubes about $10 each http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100117845/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

can also use the compact fluoros
hope this helps

more important is to get enough light ( by keeping the lights close enough)

and keep things from being too damn cold

:stop:

you can go as expensive or as cheap as you want if you are talking fixtures and bulbs....each person has their own way of doing it...

if you are talking about the cost of running your lights...figure out how many watts you are going to be running a day, convert that to kilowatts, the check and see how much a KW/hr you are paying....once I am up and running full out, I will use a little over 48 KW a day...roughly 5-6 dollars a day...

nitwit has some good suggestions for startup growers...

your question about how many plants will fit per fixture has too many if, ands, or buts to answer until you identify the fixture and light bulb you will be using...for slow growth, three dual bulb T-8 or T-12 shoplights side by side will light 4 72 cell trays...most of the trays are 10" X 20" so it depends on how big of containers you put in that area....the three shoplights side by side will cover an area 2' X 4'....

be careful to get light tubes to fit the fixture
not sure if the ones linked above will work together (pin and clearance issues?))
found and bought white fixture and two bulbs that do fit at wally's for $10.97 and $6.14 respectively
now i gots more lumens i think that is betterer

edited for typo

Back