• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Local store strange pepper! I.D. please?!?!?

I went to my local mom and pop type organic store to get some orange habs for some hot sauce. Not only were some of these insanely large for a store bought pepper, but some were strangely odd looking! Here are some pics. Maybe a cross of some sort? Trin Scorp looking, kind of..... OPINIONS?

PA230022.jpg

PA230023.jpg

PA230026.jpg

PA230027.jpg

did you taste one??

Sometimes if the flower stays on and goes a bit hard it can cause the pod to fold in like that????

I've bought a few orange habs that had that "rawr look at my tail i'm a mighty trinidad scorpion" tail before, but never that pronounced.

Agree with the above people, eat one and see what it tastes like.

I bet they're hot. They look just like the T. Scorps I've seen. If they are then the stomach can empty itself or hiccups can start quick.

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
To my dirty ol' mind, they look like stunted Penis peppers.

NJA

lol...that was my first thought as well.....a "short" Peter Pepper after checking a few other sites, it could be a Yellow Trinidad Scorpian...here is a pic I found:
85496809.jpg

I've had a few regular orange habs come out like that as well. I also had a few come out looking like a Peter Pepper that's been left out in the cold. You know, it hides like a frightened turtle!

PeterHabpod002.jpg

PeterHabpod003.jpg

Staring you dead in the eye!

PeterHabpod006.jpg

I'm leaning to toward agreeing with Potawie. I say Scotch Bonnet. You have a good point chillilover however, I have bought Red Savinas and Caribbean Reds at Walmart already!

QuadShotz said:
Whatever it is, it looks fun...ya should show a sliced open pic too.

Eat a slice..that'll let ya know. ;)

I'll post some pics. I cut it open and it had a smaller pepper inside. That's the 2nd time in a couple months I have come across that.....

JayT said:
I'm leaning to toward agreeing with Potawie. I say Scotch Bonnet. You have a good point chillilover however, I have bought Red Savinas and Caribbean Reds at Walmart already!

I know carribean reds look different but how can you tell a red savina from a red hab?

I believe Caribbean reds are real habs(Actually from Mexico) with habanero shape and flavor, where habanero red are likely just red C. chinenses given the name habanero
Any chance of getting a pic of a pod sliced in half Razorback?

chillilover said:
I know carribean reds look different but how can you tell a red savina from a red hab?

You know that is a good question, I just assumed that is what they were because they looked just like the red savinas I grew from seed last year.

Back