• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Location means everything for peppers doesn't it?

sp33d said:
Man what I would do with 2-4 inches of growth a week right now...does the OP or anyone think that location has anything to do with flavor etc of peppers? Probably a dumb question lmao
location, no, however, all the other factors do have an effect on taste, heat, humidity, soil, fertilizers, etc. Also, stress factors into the heat level, if u like very hot peppers, it helps to learn to stress them a bit w/o going crazy!

sp33d said:
Man what I would do with 2-4 inches of growth a week right now...does the OP or anyone think that location has anything to do with flavor etc of peppers? Probably a dumb question lmao
Well I am using bat/seabird guano, kelp meal, worm castings with mycorrhizal added in stirred into the top two inches of the soil in the grow bags or pots. Am told that I will need to reapply in 4-5 weeks. I am in western washington and if you check my glog pics you can see the growth results. 

onefowl1 said:
I would personally think with the drought Cali is having that once a week watering is to little. Lush growth requires water to make, I myself have been watering two to three times a week deeply with a light watering on the days it goes over a 100 in the greenhouse.
You should see the Canna and it's watered once to twice a week. Heavy mulch requires far less water. ;)
My soil is just about as good as it gets organically so it's not the soil.

onefowl1 said:
I would personally think with the drought Cali is having that once a week watering is to little. Lush growth requires water to make, I myself have been watering two to three times a week deeply with a light watering on the days it goes over a 100 in the greenhouse.
how has that been working? because just before all the rain we got up here, i was watering my plants close to that as well and they did not want to do anything, as it stands now i havent watered them in a month (except a little for ferts the other day) and i move them out of the rain, i check them every day with a soil moisture meter and they are still pretty damp, bordering wet.  but once i stopped and i moved them out of the rain they started to grow, doubled in size in 6 days

Our temps been 90-95 during the day 70-75 at night and I water every day unless it rains, cuz my plants are in the major growth stage they're using up water like crazy! Not to mention its hot as hell :D

chile_freak said:
Our temps been 90-95 during the day 70-75 at night and I water every day unless it rains, cuz my plants are in the major growth stage they're using up water like crazy! Not to mention its hot as hell :D
Oh do I ever remember those muggy hot as hell days on the flight line when I was stationed on the crystal coast (Jacksonville, NC)...

chile_freak said:
It's def hotter then Haiti lately.  Luckily I haven't had to water my garden since early May.  The it rains just enough to not have to.

PMD,  quit your whining,  at least you can grow weed legally.  If you were down south with us you sure as hell wouldn't be able to do that.   Okay I'll shut up now and walk away. 

sp33d said:
Oh do I ever remember those muggy hot as hell days on the flight line when I was stationed on the crystal coast (Jacksonville, NC)...

sp33d said:
camp lejuene i know it well

I'm in central British Columbia. We have about 90 days in our season. Our temperatures are lower than what most get. It's also the biggest reason I moved away from soil for this years grow. For example I had 4 year old scorpions in approximately 1 gallon pots and soil, but never had any real production. This year I have more pods on one plant in a 5" pot than I had in total from all 4 years from that scorpion in a gallon pot. Heat was never there either.

Just what I had to do in order to get peppers I wanted.

Neil

Blister said:
I'm in central British Columbia. We have about 90 days in our season. Our temperatures are lower than what most get. It's also the biggest reason I moved away from soil for this years grow. For example I had 4 year old scorpions in approximately 1 gallon pots and soil, but never had any real production. This year I have more pods on one plant in a 5" pot than I had in total from all 4 years from that scorpion in a gallon pot. Heat was never there either.

Just what I had to do in order to get peppers I wanted.

Neil
pics?

You're running a raised bed operation?  Or was it containers?
At any rate....what soil temperature are you reaching on those cool days?
You might shuffle the layout so as to collect as much early AM sun/warmth as possible.

That and try a shot of MiracleGro's finest!   :P
(Seriously, nice soil is nice, but if you have some chemical ferts laying about, why not dose one or two plants and see what happens?)

Proud Marine Dad said:
I water them once a week Joyner and that's it. I wouldn't call that much attention. :rofl:

I believe so Dash as I have 16 varieties. I would have to look up what is what as I did not update my grow list this year.
It's all those organic threads haunting you...:) They will be fine with time.

sp33d said:
MCAS New River...but essentially the same....;)
That's where my son was stationed before he became a DI.
Geonerd said:
You're running a raised bed operation?  Or was it containers?
At any rate....what soil temperature are you reaching on those cool days?
You might shuffle the layout so as to collect as much early AM sun/warmth as possible.

That and try a shot of MiracleGro's finest!   :P
(Seriously, nice soil is nice, but if you have some chemical ferts laying about, why not dose one or two plants and see what happens?)
I don't own any chemical ferts and never will.

Swartmamba said:
Man i have read all you post, you are too hung up on this organic power trip.

Just sit back let them grow, it is early yet. I am in a worse location than you and ill have more pods than i know what to do with.
Organic power trip? Whatever dude.
Why did you read all my posts if they are so offensive to you? :rolleyes:

Back