spirits Long Island Iced Teas

I have been on this kick for a while when Ms Lucky ;) and I go out especially after seeing so many here like to make and drink them. Now Im trying to make my own and there is just something missing not sure what it is....
Heres how Ive been making 'em

1 oz White Rum
1 oz White Tequila
1 oz Gin
1 oz Triple Sec
1 oz Vodka
1 -1/2 -2 oz Sweet Sour mix
Splash of coke

Granted a couple of these and taste isnt important as much as is where's the door at or heres a nice place to laydown --
How do ya'll make'em

Coke is mostly for color. As a bartender you literally tap the coke button on the gun. So make sure your splash is not a pour.
Sweet-sour mix? Not sure what this is. Just sour mix. And go with 1 1/2 over the 2.
Make sure you shake it.

Yeah I've done all that maybe to much Sour mix -- yeah its not Sweet and Sour thats for my Yangtze Iced Tea :lol:

Top self but oh so yummy....

1/2 oz Bacardi 151 rum
1/2 oz Jose Cuervo gold tequila
1/2 oz Tanqueray gin
1/2 oz Absolut vodka
1/2 oz Grand Marnier orange liqueur
2 oz sweet and sour mix
1 oz Coca-Cola
2 lemon wedges

Mmmmmmmmm....

This is my favorite drink. If you want to change it up and make a Texas Tea, just add 1 oz of your favorite whiskey into it. ;)

Whaaa? What's bourbon whiskey got to do with TX? Too many damn boozes in LI or TX... frat drink.

No sir! I was drinking what they call Texas Tea long before I even tried a Long Island and it was served to me in a fine steak house along the River Walk of San Antonio. Check it yo'self! Frat drink pfft....

Those liquors were not meant to be mixed. Frat drink indeed. If you like it you like it.

I've had LI Iced Tea and made them for frat boys as a bartender :lol:
Some cool kid added whiskey and changed the name.

Sorry but these drinks are frat drinks. Some college campus somewhere, probably in the 80s: "Let's put all the liquors we have in a glass and drink it. Yuckl! Add some Coke!"

To each their own though!

Jones Beach LI... that's a college beach town ;)
Okay okay to each their own, like I said. :)

ok this is how I make them at my restaurant

fill a pint glass the whole way with ice

1oz vodka, gin, rum, tequila, triple sec, should leave you enough room for equal parts coke and sour mix, an oz MAYBE an oz and a half of each

pour into a mixing glass, and pour right back, garnish with a lemon

I have been told I make the best Long Islands that most people have ever had

its very simple, yet very delicious

Hey Lucky,

I would replace the triple sec with Cointreau and use roses lime juice as the sweet sour mix.
And only a splash of coke for color, preferably from the can.
Top shelf liquors such as grey goose, tanqueray and Petron' will make for the best tasting drink.

I'll try the Cointreau and I have Roses or maybe a different sour mix the one my wife bought is really yellow in color and in a bottle like the Blender drinks are in. If all else fails with cointreau, couple limes and tequila I could make a mean Margarita

I don't really remember what they taste like but I hate gin. I don't drink soda either I kicked that stuff awhile back. Oh well no LI IT for me. Pour me a margarita any day though ;)

I'll trade for sure. Make mine frozen, and with prickly pear juice.

Back