• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Longbranch Trading Co. Original

These sauces have been here waiting to be reviewed since last fall! It's about time I got around to it.

The label is pretty classy. I really like the font and the picture of the ristra is pretty nice. It has an wild west mesa sort of a feel about it.

It's got a nice thick rich consistency. I can see the bits of red peppers and bits of seeds. It actually looks quite yummy.

The ingredients are: Apple cider vinegar, water, de Arbol peppers*, roasted pumpkin seeds, roasted sesame seeds, garlic, roasted pine nuts, sea salt, spices, Habanero peppers*, Chipotle Morita peppers*, xanthan gum *Denotes dried peppers.

Well, it sounds yummy too.

The first scent I get is burnt apple cider vinegar. (Again, I'm not a good choice of test for chipotle peppers in any fashion!)

There is an interesting reaction to the flavours of this sauce as my tongue struggles to comprehend the nutty flavours it's tasting. The pumpkin is really pronounced, but the pine nut and sesame flavours seem to get lost in the sauce. I can feel the seeds between my teeth, although, in a food usage, this wouldn't happen, but straight sauce-wise, it's kinda weird.

Using the dried peppers, was an interesting twist and I'm glad there are three different peppers in here because the flavours were rather middle of the palate, not too full, but the pepper flavour is very full. There's no cheek to this sauce, although with the Apple cider vinegar, I would have expected a goodly bit of it. Too, I think I would have liked to have more of a taste of the apple cider, it didn't come through to the tongue.

I'm thinking the sauce would sprinkle well in a burger or on a pizza. If there were enough, it might even make a good wing sauce. It certainly seems to coat well enough for that.

I put it in the very hot, slow burn category, but this is a nice all over continual burn.

Definitely worth a second taste.

Good job Pam.

T

Back